New
Find
Notify
Tools

Safety problem Mod 70 Safari
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys, took the 375 out to the range today for a little session. sadly most of the shooting (only 25 rounds) was from the bench with that damn factory pad.

Anways, I only own the one winchester so wanted to make sure I am really comfortable with it and wanted to work the safety during the shooting. First time I went to engage it no go, it wouldn't budge. Finally I pulled the firing pin out of the bolt and by compressing the firing pin more I was able to engage the safety. I put some gun oil on it, let it penetrate, reassembled and worked it. It is VERY stiff to move the first position. From the mid to the full safe position is ok.

Any ideas on what the problem is and what I need to do to correct it? I see a touch of rust there. I bougth the gun unfired but second owner, I noticed when I disassembled the entire bolt cocking piece and all that there was some light rust on the cocking piece. I though I had that all cleaned up, I wonder if there is something in the safety that caused a problem? I plan on boiling it to at least arrest the rust that I can't get to.

Any help appreciated, gonna end up carrying it at least part of the time this season.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:
Hey guys, took the 375 out to the range today for a little session. sadly most of the shooting (only 25 rounds) was from the bench with that damn factory pad.

Anways, I only own the one winchester so wanted to make sure I am really comfortable with it and wanted to work the safety during the shooting. First time I went to engage it no go, it wouldn't budge. Finally I pulled the firing pin out of the bolt and by compressing the firing pin more I was able to engage the safety. I put some gun oil on it, let it penetrate, reassembled and worked it. It is VERY stiff to move the first position. From the mid to the full safe position is ok.

Any ideas on what the problem is and what I need to do to correct it? I see a touch of rust there. I bougth the gun unfired but second owner, I noticed when I disassembled the entire bolt cocking piece and all that there was some light rust on the cocking piece. I though I had that all cleaned up, I wonder if there is something in the safety that caused a problem? I plan on boiling it to at least arrest the rust that I can't get to.

Any help appreciated, gonna end up carrying it at least part of the time this season.

Red

Sounds like a slight misalignment between the safety cam and the notch in the firing pin. The safety notch on the firing pin is sitting slightly forward of the safety lever cam causing the safety lever cam to have to strain to engage the notch.

To correct this, you have to pull the firing pin and open and extend the safety notch towards the rear, ever so slightly. Put some layout fluid on the notch, reassemble the bolt, place it in the gun and work the safety a couple of times. You may have to lift the bolt handle a touch to get the safety cam to engage.

Pull the firing pin and you will see where the contact is. It is there you will need to lightly stone the notch. Stone it just enough to remove the abrupt edge as it transitions into the radius. Search this site for directions for pulling down an M70 bolt. Remember, it is easier to take material off than it is to put it back on. Go slow and keep testing the progress. If you go too far, you will have a whole set of new problems. Good luck.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What Malm says is right on the money. The only thing I would add is that you should send it to some one who has done this before. This is an ideal place for a shade tree gunsmith to make a big mistake in an incredibly short period of time. Slight angle or dimensional changes can get you in a spot where you really don't want to be.

I had in the shop just last week for the exact same thing you describe. Did not take me long to make right, but then I have done one or two of these before. Had another one in the shop about 2 months ago for a lot of work, including the safety would not engage. Could not believe how much metal I had to take off of that one. Working on 3 position safeties is the perfect way for you to perfect your profanity 9 times out of 10.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote