Find
Notify
Tools

700 Remington bolt swap
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
Once again I find myself in need of adult supervison (gunsmithing version).

-I have a Remington 700 action with 308 bolt. It's a BDL version. I want to have a competent gunsmith put a barrel on it chambered for a .223 based cartridge (it will be trued)

-Have a swap offer for a .223 bolt. Other party wants my 308 bolt face for his project. His action is an ADL version, so we will also swap magazine boxes, followers and springs. Other party has a J-Lock bolt shroud so we will swap those (with firing pins?)

-We each keep our receivers so no FFL matters are in play.

Will this dual conversion work? Or are there too many variables and one of us end up with a hot mess?

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As long as the two actions are of the same vintage, anti-bind, and you are going to rebarrel them, I can't see any problem. Am I overlooking something?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I forgot about that anti-bind thing. Thanks!

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
The anti bind cut is no problem. I've done hundreds, well, gobs of them. I outlined it here about 22 posts down. If you are just swapping barrels and don't want to re-headspace make sure the bolts are the same headspace.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/8671075902/p/4

REMINGTON HEADSPACE by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
None of that matters as you will fit the barrel to the bolt and the custom chamber doesn't care how it was originally fitted.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Mag boxes won’t swap. You can shorten the ADL box to fit BDL, but can’t go the other way.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Thanks John. That is good to know.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some "Truing" is nothing more than molesting.

As posted above by Rod, bolt lug length will tell the true story.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 429 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A bolt from an anti-bind action will go into a non anti-bind recever but to go the other way, a groove must be cut into the right-hand bolt lug to engage the anti-bind rib in the receiver. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3763 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote