New
Find
Notify
Tools

AD, Question on M70's
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
At one time there was a discussion on serial number ranges that were more desirable on the classic m70's.. Does anyone recall what that range of numbers is?
Thanks,
Pat B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am uncertain whether you are talking about new or old model 70's here. I don't know about the new, but post 1964 model 70's begain with serial number 700,000. In 1963 the serial number range started at 581,471.

The 1952 and older range was below 282,735.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I prefer pre-64 Model 70 actions in the 200,000 thru mid-300,000 serial number range, production years 1952-1955, approx.

I prefer current Model 70 Classic actions before (give of take) serial number G275000. Generally, these feature three-screw Winchester bottommetal and the old pre-64 style firing pin stop screw on the left side of the bolt sleeve.

AD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
AD,
What are your thoughts on the latest iteration of the Classic M70 that has the new style bolt shroud for better gas control, the one-piece bottom metal, and according to what I've heard, tighter tolerances in the trigger?

Posts: 273 | Location: Dakota | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I really don't like them. They don't look like Model 70s to me, not as I've know them for the last twenty-eight years, and I don't think the fit and finish is nearly as good as it used to be.

I spoke to Mark Penrod recently, who was telling me about some of the custom short-action Model 70 WSMs he's been producing. Emphatically, his remarks underscored what I've determined myself -- the current actions aren't as good. Mark said the early M70 short WSM actions were quite good, and that he was really pleased with how those projects had turned out. But he stated that the more recent actions had tolerances that were so poor that some of the receivers were basically unworkable.

I have one older M70 Classic down at Echols' place for a full-house 'Legend' 300 H&H, plus I have another another older Classic action on hand, also an early Classic 25-06 that I'm going to shoot for a while, then at some point in time I'll use that action for a custom job as well. I keep looking for them, and they're out there.........

AD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
AD,
Thanks for your response. I found it quite interesting. I was aware that earlier Classics with the firing pin stop screw were generally of better quality, but I wasn't aware that there was also a quality difference among the short WSM actions (none of which have the stop screw, that I've ever seen). I have two early short WSM Classics, and have been considering a late model WSM Classic with the new features, but now I will have to re-evaluate. Thanks!

Posts: 273 | Location: Dakota | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like Allen I have seen some real out of spec junk from Win. as of late...I will just stay with the pre 64s.....

The pre 64 Win. and the Brno Mod 21,22 are the best commercial rifle every built IMO...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42155 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replys, that's just the information I was looking for !

Pat