Find
Notify
Tools

1909 Argentine Crest Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
Did all 1909 actions have a crest on the top of the receiver? I have an action that appears to be all original except for the bolt. There are no scope holes and the finish of the metal on the top of the receiver ring appears consistent with the rest of the action and still in the original white. It has no crest on it.

Thoughts? Wondering if I should have someone replicate the crest and if so, who?

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thoughts? Wondering if I should have someone replicate the crest and if so, who?

I believe that all the military ones need.

There is no value in putting one on if it has been taken off.

Unless it is to you.

Posts: 19620 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After some rifles appeared where they caused trouble for the government, they ground all receivers sold to open market . So yours was ground after that period of South American wars . I forgot what other country was involved . I'm leaning towards Brazil or Peru ? It stinks getting old , but beats the alternative!

Posts: 227 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: 03 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Caused trouble? I can't imagine any DWM rifle of the period causing trouble. Those were the best made and finished military rifles ever made. That is not the reason for ground crests; All original 1909s have crests, and by Argentine law, exports had to be ground after sales to Paraguay caused embarrassment. Later when the US market started importing them, they left the crests on as they knew they were not for military use.
Realize that the Argentines also made the 1909. Marked DGFM (FMAP).
Should you have someone replicate the crest? Cost to engrave it back on will exceed the cost of a new receiver. It's your money; any engraver can do it, but it won't look original.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Caused trouble? I can't imagine any DWM rifle of the period causing trouble. Those were the best made and finished military rifles ever made. That is not the reason for ground crests; All original 1909s have crests, and by Argentine law, exports had to be ground after sales to Paraguay caused embarrassment. Later when the US market started importing them, they left the crests on as they knew they were not for military use.
Realize that the Argentines also made the 1909. Marked DGFM (FMAP).
Should you have someone replicate the crest? Cost to engrave it back on will exceed the cost of a new receiver. It's your money; any engraver can do it, but it won't look original.

Looks like the scope base is going there then!

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Do yourself a favor and have the front ring checked for trueness. Often, when crests were ground off, they were done nicely and sometimes even concentrically. More often, they weren't and they end up uneven, saddle backed even. Having the front ring ground to get a nice fit with a scope base is often times required.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
Do yourself a favor and have the front ring checked for trueness. Often, when crests were ground off, they were done nicely and sometimes even concentrically. More often, they weren't and they end up uneven, saddle backed even. Having the front ring ground to get a nice fit with a scope base is often times required.

Good point! thank you!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dpcd the trouble I refer too were a governments weapons used against another country , causing unease in the government. Look it up , I would but am a little busy .

Posts: 227 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: 03 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never mind , here's the word for word and book , by argentine law , the crest was to be ground off those rifles and carbines sold to foreign buyers , due to embarrassing sales to Paraguayans during the Chaco war of the 1930s , however this law was later repealed and many of these weapons came into the United States in untouched excellent condition.
From Mauser Military Rifles of the World, by Robert Ball , page 14 first paragraph line 7 .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dpcd PM sent

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's how they caused trouble ! Never assume it's only related to strength . Trouble can be a head stamp on a case left behind , not cause it was inferior and blew up .
Glad to see you have the same old books !

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I do have the same book; but I wrongly assumed you meant mechanical trouble. Not political, which was the case.
You realize I never actually read posts before answering. Saves a lot of time that way....

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess we have that in common .

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

You realize I never actually read posts before answering.

And here I thought that I was the only one to do that...

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote