Find
Notify
Tools

Forearm Screws for TC Encore
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of worriedman
posted
My Encore came originally with wood stocks, but I have added the composit set. I had to pillar bed the forearm, as I was getting terrible accuracy, and reading the forums, figured that would be a good place to start. However, the screws now will only engage 1-1.5 turns. Can any one tell me where I can get longer screws? Also, I do not have a gage to tell me what size and thread count they are, any one have that info?

Posts: 742 | Location: West Tennessee | Registered: 27 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thread pitch is 8-40. Make sure the forend only touches where the screws attach, and as far as longer screws, I would just recommend taking some material off the bottom of your pillars with an endmill.

Posts: 47 | Location: Hurricane, UT | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of worriedman
posted Hide Post
I appreciate so much your reply. However, I live in the sticks, (Bells, TN.) and am not even sure what and end mill is! (A machinist I am not!) Thought about taking a wood bore paddle bit same size as the opening in the forearm and grinding down the center point so as not to form a cone shape, to keep the shoulder of the bearing surface flat for the screw head, and chucking that up in my drill press, putting the forearm in the vice and removing about .25", which would be about the thickness of the original stock, but decided to try and find longer screws first. Thanks again for the info.

Posts: 742 | Location: West Tennessee | Registered: 27 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
An endmill is a bit that is used to cut flat surfaces. It has a flat bottom so it will cut square, very similar to how you want to modify that wood bore paddle bit. Let me know if you need any other help.

Posts: 47 | Location: Hurricane, UT | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of worriedman
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the info and help. Will take a stab at finishing up tonight after work. I have some plastic that is very similar to the stock, figured to practice on that first...

posted Hide Post
Hi VV Mark, Im a new member here, hope its not impolite to but into your string. I notice your reference to a 8-40 screw. This is a very common screw on firearms but I am unable to find that diameter/pitch combination in any of the standard US thread series. Can you tell me where it fits in the standard thread scheme? the point of my question is that I am planning to expand my stock of taps & dies and want to do it with the best arrangement. Thanks for your help.