New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage Laps lugs on factory rifle?
 Login/Join

<grkldoc>
posted
We obtained, off the shelf and new, a factory savage in 7mm Rem Mag for a rebarrel project. This was a synthetic sporter with detatchable magazine(not their target model). After removing the barrel, I examined the lug recesses and noted the appearance of lapping marks. Examining the lugs showed similar fine markings. Having worked with Remington and Winchester actions, I was not use to seeing this. I wondered, is it possible that the lugs were lapped at the factory? Certainly, I would not have expected this.
I then applied dykem to the lugs and lapping compound. After about 20 cycles I removed the bolt and noted all of the dykem was gone==>100% contact. Having lapped several actions, I know, this usually takes much longer even after machining the recesses. I can only conclude that somebody previously lapped the lugs on this new rifle. Does anyone know if the factory does this? Or is this a used rifle sold as new?

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
I never heard of any major manufacturer, including Savage that laps the lugs on standard production rifles. It is however possible that the machining of the bolt and receiver may have been accurate enough to have achieved the results you describe. If the machining is done correctly, it is not as necessary to lap the lugs of any bolt-action as some people would have you believe. Far greater accuracy between the bolt and receiver can be obtained by concentrating on the machining end of things, rather than the handwork. When done properly, you can put the rifle through the same process of dykem and bolt cycles, and achieve the exact result with a quality machine job. Still, it is quite amazing that you would see these kinds of results on an out-of-the-box factory rifle. Nothing like getting lucky though. Too bad that doesn't happen more often.

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of milanuk
posted Hide Post
I don't know how much actual effort Savage puts into the bolt lugs, but correct me if I'm wrong: Doesn't Savage use kind of a 'floating' bolt head, where the head more or less toggles or floats into alignment w/ the barrel w/o the need for traditional lapping? I've not taken one apart myself, but I've always been told that this is one of the 'secrets' of their great out-of-the-box accuracy.

YMMV,

Monte

Posts: 341 | Location: Wenatchee, WA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
triggerguard1

A question (s) for you.

If the lugs and recesses were machined dead square, I would imagine that when the bolt is closed there will not be full lug contact, unless the bolt could be held centrally within the receiver.

In other words, lapping the lugs as most people do it will result in the lugs and recess faces not being square to the receiver.

For sloppy bolt/receiver fits like M98s, lapping the lugs would make the faces a long way from square to the receiver.

So let us say that you have the locking lugs and recesses machined perfectly square to the reciever and the bolt has some "slop" in the receiver, does lapping the lugs "undo" the good machining work.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have toured the Savage plant, and found no one "lapping" lugs that I could see.

They do a great job on a lot of things, but I doubt if the lugs were factory lapped.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Lapping lugs with discretion can put the final touch on an extremely well machined assembly, but, yes you can overdue it. We've put together many rifles that did not have the lugs lapped because it was not necessary. The finish on bolt and receiver was better than a 32 finish, and lapping it would have proven to be a waste of time. The rule of thumb should be to let the machine do the precision work and your hands do what the machine cannot. This applies to every aspect of a firearm.
When getting all of the pieces of the puzzle to come together, concentricity is the key. Everything must be in alignment with one another. One of the features that we are adding to our actions is rear alignment of the bolt to a consistent point everytime. This will ensure consistent trigger pull as well as consistent alignment between the bolt and receiver. This will be the only receiver that I've ever heard of that located the rear of the bolt. It's a detail that's been overlooked for too long.

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
milanuk,
The barrel nut on the Savage allows the barrel to be moved to accomodate headspacing when fitting. The lugs still have to bear on the lug recess in the action, irrespective of the barrel system.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
triggerguard1--

Check out the Newton single shot target action. It had conical form front lugs and a short taper mated surface at the rear of the rear ring. When perfectly fitted the bolt was absolutely solid in the receiver.......... no matter what the headspace.........That's one reason not many have survived.

I've always wanted to build a taper lock action but with 90 degree lugs.

I figure you'd have to have Q Tips behind both ears like a boxing cornerman to keep it clean enough to work in a prairie dog town. [Smile]