New
Find
Notify
Tools

BSA Mauser Style Action
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
These seem to be available fairly cheap and I would think that they could be a good basis for a custom. Are they?

Also, I really dislike the bolt shroud/cocking piece. Would standard Mauser 98 Parts fit?

Thanks.

Ken

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I kinda liked the older BSA Majestics with the squared off shroud and integral safety. Sorry I sold mine.

Herters sold them as a J9 or U9, BSA style and Mauser style, I forget which was which.

rambling

Rich

Posts: 6440 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
would like one myself in any standard caliber- '06, .270, .243, etc.

I can't tell, are they CRF's?

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
The Royal versions have claw extractors. Not all have steel trigger guards and floorplates, more common on the medium length version.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I've had several of them, and liked them all. Sorry I sold any one of them.

Had one in .22 Hornet, which was the most accurate, smooth-feeding Hornet I ever had. Actually had a Model 54 Super Grade Hornet that was as accurate, but not nearly as smooth feeding....

Also had one in 7x57 which was a real delight. Handy, double-reliable, and very nice wood.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Definitely would want the Royal version, it is much like a mauser. Would a mauser shroud fit it?

Thinking of making it a 'poor man's' 21H since I can't find the one of those that I want/can afford.

Thanks.

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the BSA Royal was designed by the same brothers that designed the BRNO ZG-47

Posts: 85 | Location: Calgary Alberta Kanada | Registered: 30 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
The action/rifles were quite svelte. Those are Parker Hale rings. Kinda control feed.

quote:
Originally posted by buckbrush:
I believe the BSA Royal was designed by the same brothers that designed the BRNO ZG-47

Posts: 6440 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
These BSA rifles were/are very popular in New Zealand. Along with the Parker Hale Mauser rifles they took over duty from the old military Lee Enfields. The early BSAs where commonly called Hunter models (although some contend they were Viscounts) and came in short length for 222, 243 etc and long for the 270, 30.06 cartridges. The most sort after was the "medium" length which was made to accommodate the 7x57 cartridge.

Strong, light and easy to carry, the BSA Hunter in 7x57 was the ultimate red deer rifle and still fetches excellent prices here on the second hand market.

Posts: 3880 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 98 shroud won't fit, not even close. I have both and I have done all my hunting for more than 25 years with my BSA 7x57 (what is commonly called the "Hunter" model here in NZ, it has the claw extractor).

Mine shoots better now than when I got it (probably due to improvements in projectiles over that period I think) even though I've out 1500 rounds through it, and it was well used when I got it !!

These claw extractor models are "controlled feed" and are as smooth a feeding rifle as you'll find anywhere. We only see a few pre 64 Winchesters here, but I've never seen one as slick and smooth as my BSA.

In common with the Pre 64 they have a weakness, if you have a really stuck case the extractor will jump over it and fail to remove it from the chamber. Don't ask how I know that !! Heaven knows why the BSA (and Winchester) people didn't fully copy the Mauser extractor with its head turning in a tapered key-way.

Cheers

Foster

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like wise I have a c1954 hunter in 7x57. When I got it it leaded badly so I had the barrel lapped, 15 frustrating shots with a group like a shotgun, then it came good 3/4" if I do my part. I also had to re-cut front of sear, as the bolt could over ride it.

Faults, camming is done with angled locking lugs on bolt lugs, not sure why I don't like that.

Will I sell it, NEVER! Safety is the best I have used trigger is crisp, it handles nicely and the 7x57 is a lovely gentle but very effective deer round.