Find
Notify
Tools

Putting an adjustable sight on a Kimber 1911
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted
I have a Kimber Classic 1911 clone with fixed sights, and have been wondering about getting adjustable sights for it.
Would this require a new cut to install? I seem to remember that the fixed sights are mounted different than the adjustable sights, but I am not sure if that is for all of the models.

If so, I will probably send it off. Otherwise, the local gunsmith will handle it. Thanks for the help.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NEJack:

Check with Novak Sight Company. They have a web site and you can e-mail or call them. I believe they make a site that will slide right in your guns dovetail. If not just a little milling is required.

Longshot

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try this. http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=9753&s=

I have used these drop in sights in the past and they are great. These used to be made by MMC but now they are manufactured by Pachmayr. Good luck!

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help! I also saw this on Brownells.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=9177

These are for "drop in" installation of factory Kimbers with a fixed sight.

I talked with a gentleman at Kimber yesterday (great customer service people!), and he quoted a price of about $250 for an anjustable sight and machining. I would love to get it done cheaper than that.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Jack,

Can you post a pic of your gun so we can see how the sights are mounted? The front sight is either in a dovetail or has 2 studs that need to be riveted. Additionally, you might be happy with the front as it is and just want to replace the rear. If so, just use the sight Malm has suggested would be my thought as well. You can do it yourself that way if money is an issue at the moment. If the front sight is in a dovetail you can also replace that yourself, but unless you want a tritium dot I'd wonder about any benefits.

Hope that helps, and a pic (even one grabbed from kimber) would help determine what sights would work.

Mark

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
Here is a pict from google on the rear sight set up.
http://www.eastcountyguns.com/PHOTOS/PISTOLS/KIMBER/04_10_03.jpg

Front sight is fine (and is a dovetail), and have been interested in just putting in an adjustable rear sight.

Thanks for all the help!