Find
Notify
Tools

6.5mm barrel 1 in 12" twist
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted
I have a chance to get the barrel from a local shop for next to nothing. My question is what bullets weights and velocities is it suited to? Seems to me only light bullets are suitable.

Since I just got my lathe I thought this might be a good project to begin with. I wouldn't be out a whole lot of $$ in cash things don't work out. However, in the off chance that they do I'd like to end up with a useable shooter. I was thinking that a 6.5x57, 6.5-06 or even a 6.5x55 would be ok.

Any insights would be appreciated.

-Mike

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The higher the velocity with a given bullet, the slower the twist that can stabalize it. Therefore, it would seem to make sense to go with the largest case practical to shoot the heaviest bullets practical in your slow-twist 6.5mm.

Even so, I suspect that everything up to a 120 grain spitzer would PROBABLY stabilize with a .260 Remington and up. If you jump up to .264 Winchester velocities, my guess is that the 125 Nosler might stabilize, but not most 140's.

Let us know the outcome.

[This message has been edited by Stonecreek (edited 02-26-2002).]

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Mike,

The standard 6.5 mm barrel twist for American makers is 9" (229 mm). The European standard seems to be 7.87" (200 mm), but a Blaser salesman told me they used 12".

My 9" twist 6.5-'06 will stabilize round nose bullets up to 160 grains, but not the longer semi spitzer.

jim

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
I had a .264 Win Mag with the 1-12 for long range varmints for a while. It would shoot bullets up to 120 gr.

You can find Greenhills formula in some of the on line free ballistic sites or in one of the Speer handbooks.

But it does not matter much. It sounds like a fun project and some bullet will work fine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
6.5 x 300 weatherby would be perfect

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.

I think I will go ahead and get the barrel because as Don Martin29 said it will be a fun project and some weight bullet willshoot well.

GSF1200, the 6.5 x 300 Weatherby does sound fun but I want to keep this simple as it will be one of my first projects. I would like to chamber in a caliber that won't require a lot of foolin with the feed rails.

Thanks,

Mike

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:

or even a 6.5x55 would be ok.

-Mike

Sacrilege. Words fail me.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I have a 6.5 Gibbs in a Douglas 1-10" twist barrel. It shoots bullets up to 140gr (including the long Barnes X) accurately. I have not tried the 160's or the VLD 140's yet, as I assume that would be pushing my luck.

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
z1r

6.5~284 perfect!

short powder column short action

griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Griff,

Funny, I've was originally thinking of the 6.5 -.284. But am kinda leary of tackling the feed rails at this early stage.

I figure I'll be doing good to just get the barrel countoured, mounted, chambered and properly headspaced. But then again, nothing like diving in head first.

What kinda ballistics can I expect out of this round in a 25" barrel?

Thanks,

Mike

one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
I've was originally thinking of the 6.5 -.284...

What kinda ballistics can I expect out of this round in a 25" barrel?

Thanks,

Mike

You�ll find some ballistics for it at www.norma.cc.

Fritz

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Bruce Gordon>
posted
You might take a look at Saeed's reloading pages and check out the 260 Remington. He is getting 3339 FPS out of a 28" barrel with 100 grain Nosler Balistic Tips and 3304 with 107 grain Sierra Matchkings.
The 260 Remington has factory cases available for it or you can form from 7mm-08, 308 Win., or 243 Win. brass. Anything based on the 308 Win case has a reputation for excellent accuracy and there should not be any feed rail problems.
You might tke a look at the 6.5-284 loading page while you are at it and see that it is only running about 100 fps faster with the same bullet. Not much for the increase in powder charge.