New
Find
Notify
Tools

ZG 47, into a 404 Jeffery?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Many authorities consider the ZG 47 action as one of the finest commercial '98 Mauser actions. I have a double square bridge model that I can convert into a fine custom rifle. I was thinking of doing 404 Jeffery on this action. Kevin Robertson has a ZG 47 rifle in 9.3x64 as his hunting rifle. Is the longer 404 Jeffery a good match for this action?

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Leonard,
Don't you already have move 404 Jeffrey's than is permitted by Texas law??

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, You have a very nice gun for conversion to 404. You'll need to re-work or replace the magazine, and of course, work on the feed rails and bolt face.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty, I have moved back to Oklahoma. Too hot in south Texas. Started another practice here and am doing quite well so far. MANAGED CARE is theft by deception. Anyway, I do not think you can have enough rifles in 404 jeffery. I have three and am still looking for the perfect carry rifle for my next adventure.

Blackburn/Jerry Fisher make a round bottom for '98 Mauser that I thought would make up into a fine light weight rifle for my next trip.

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I mentioned on your other post that you probably have small ring 21/22 models. I probably wouldn't build a 404 on one of these, but a true ZG-47 is a natural for the 404. I just sold Lee Helgeland (406-837-2041) in Montana (a Guild member) a ZG barreled action for just such a project. There is probably enough room in the factory magazine box for the 404 as they are fairly large, although some alterations might be necessary. I've seen a ZG done up in 375. ZG-47s:

21-H "square bridge" versions:

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
fla3006, What is the difference between the ZG47 and the model 21/22 Brno actions? I seem to have a couple of different ones that I am working with. One with a square bridge and one standard for '98. The Mauser book says that the model 21/22 are ZG47 actions. Is it not true?

<JOHAN>
posted
lb404

A modell 21 or 22 is a small ring mauser action while the ZG-47 is a large ring. The rifles are different in configuration such as floor plate, trigger etc.

A 404 is fine on a ZG-47 action. Visit Nickudu files and treat your self with Hatari Times article about the 404. Ask a competent gunsmith to messure the action and then order a blackburn floorplate. Don't blame me, it was all fla3006 fault

I have three ZG-47 in my vault and they are very nice... I can't make up my mind if I shall take a Brno ZG-47 or a magnum mauser action. I know of a factory ZG-47 in 404 Jeffery. It lives happy with it's owner in Africa and has plenty of target buffalo's

Cheers

/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
Ok, since there are so many zg 47's in this post, I would like the next barreled action that comes up for sale

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Fla3006, is it the ZG47 that Lee took with him to the show? He had one there and I specifically took a picture of the safety setup on them. I love the way that looks.

Since you seem to be the authority around here on them, do you know a good place to find them and what I should expect to pay cost wise?

Thanks.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
DR- I'm no authority, probably Alf Smith qualifies for that, but I've owned close to 20 now. Most of mine came from Canada before the laws got more restrictive up there, although they occasionally show up stateside. Only 20K were made and they weren't imported here. I've paid between $600 and $1400 (for a brand new 7x57 with matching Zeiss Jena scope). I talked to Lee at the Vegas show and looked at his ZG, told him I had a barreled action I'd sell, he jumped on it. It's in his mail right now.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote