New
Find
Notify
Tools

VZ24 Mauser action questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I bought a VZ24 action, and I have a couple of questions about the ejector slot in the bolt. Was it normal for the ejector slot to end ahead of the back of the lug it splits? Any others I've seen seemed to have the slot run out the back of the lug. Of course, I never really looked that close before, as it never was a problem area. Mine ends about .10" ahead of the lug's rear face. there is also a portion of the lug left proud of the bolt body. This sticks up about .025" above the bolt body and has a square rear edge to it. This has caused a gouge in the front of the ejector blade that catches on the raised portion in the slot. The way it is, the action will not cycle. The ejector catches on this edge and you have to pull out the bolt release lever to get past it. My question first and foremost is; do I just take that little raised section out of the slot? Or is it there for a reason? The only thing I could think of for it being there would be to break the ejector loose if it was stuck in place by ice or mud.
Also, do I dress the nose of the ejector or replace it? I would really appreciate one of you Mauser experts educating me on this. Is there a book or manual I should buy that will help educate me on the ins and outs of Mausers? I've looked through a buddies copy of Mauser Rifles (don't know the author) but it was mostly just a configuration and features book.
Mark

Posts: 37 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 16 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The raised section is there for a purpose, it keeps it clean and working and something else thats very important but slips my mind, Jack Belk went over that with me at one time, but at my age retention is a thing of the past, if fact it always has been ...

Everything and I mean everything on a Mauser is there for a purpose....I am not sure about the slot length but I suspect it is fine..

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your ejector may be in backwards. Try reversing it.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
I had the exact same problem on a 98/22 surplus mauser I just bought. these are pretty much the same as a vz 24 but have a longer barrel. I tried everything I could think of to make it work, I took out the shell ejecter messed with this and that could not get it to work for the life of me. I looked at a k98 mauser and it has this slight lip as well however I looked at a yugo mauser and it was actually rounded and recesses about 1/4" rear of the bolt lug. I said to hell with it and ever so carefully with a dremel tool took off the ridge, I only paid $58 bucks for the gun and just wanted a decent shooter. now I am having a problem with bolt lift after fireing, some have suggested an extractor problem, does anyone know if it is ok to fire the gun without the extractor, I know I will have to manually push out the brass but it will help me eliminate a problem

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

"The raised portion on the split left lug acts as a gas deflector. Some bolts which lack this may have been worn down or the ridge not machined at all."- Original Oberndorf Sportung Rifles by Jon Speed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't believe the ejector is in backwards. I'll check, but it doesn't look like it will go in any other way than it is. It's kind of banana shaped and has the pivot hole on a protruding lug on the outside back end. The nose of the few ejectors I've looked at have a rounded interior face which keeps the front corner of the ejector off the bolt surface. Maybe mine is worn enough that the front edge started catching and now it has a divot that is catching on that raised lug portion?
The raised portion of lug in the slot is square backed, should I round it off a little to allow the ejector to smoothly ride over it?
Thanks for your responses. Mark

one of us
posted Hide Post
The ejector blade fits in the box both ways. If it is in backwards it will not let the bolt ride all the way open.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am standing here looking at 5 different 98 mausers and for the life of me I cannot see anyone getting that ejector on backwards and actually getting the bolt into the action with out a hammer or perhaps a die grinder. The ejector on the VZ-24 (all right hand 98's) should be on the right hand side of the action as looking at it from the butt side of the stock as if shooting it. If yours is on the left side of the action then I would suspect some one has done some work on that one and you better have a good smith look at it...before shooting it.

Good luck

Posts: 281 | Location: MN | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oddball, you're thinking of the extractor. the ejector is on the left side. Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I checked out the position of the ejector, and it's not in backwards.
I guess I'll break the rear edge of the raised lug portion in the slot and try recontouring the side of the ejector nose to give it more radius so it rides up over the raised portion smoothly.
Can anyone else give me some input on this little problem?
Thanks, Mark

one of us
posted Hide Post
Never mind!

Posts: 281 | Location: MN | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just for the record. The ejector on the left is installed correctly. The one on the right is in backwards.

<JOHAN>
posted
KurtC

Mauser class today?

It's the Left that is CORRECT

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kurt, I didn't think you could put one in backwards, but there it is.
Mine is in correctly. As for the original problem, I stoned the inner face of it, (that rides on the bolt body), to remove the burr and the cycling problem is gone....for now anyway.
Are ejectors hardened? Should I replace the original?
I'm going to order Keuhnhausen's Mauser shop manual, are there any others that come to mind as a good reference?
Thanks again, Mark