Find
Notify
Tools

How much to rebarrel a rifle??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello
I have a .378 Weatherby Magnum in Mark V that I would like to replace the #3 contour barrel with a #4 or #5 contour 26" Shilin(SP). Plus have it freebored and installed one or two mercury recoil reducers to help balance out the rifle. How much am I looking at to have this done (ball park figure)?

Thanks
Steve

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Well a Shilin CM blank around $200. Stainless would be more. Thread, chamber, install $150-200. Reblue $57-125. Reducers last I checked $50-75 plus $35-50 each to install.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ramrod340

Thanks for the post, she's headed to the gunsmith today.

Steve

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Harry Lawson company in Tuscon makes a hell of a nice Thumbhole stock for that big Mark V.

I have shot several 378s and they are both punishing and scary. I will own one again and it will have a Lawson Thumbhole on it.

Thumbholes aren't for everyone, but if you can handle their looks they stop recoil cold.

A thumbhole stock, magna port, and a breako should make that thing a pussy cat.

I am looking for a cheap used 30-378 to rebarrel to 378.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
D99

Thanks for the post... I took her to the gunsmith today decided to install a kick-EZ recoil pad and a dead mule recoil reducer and went with a 28" CM Shilen #5 contour. This should tame the savage beast recoil. BOOM

Steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
D99

PM sent.

Thanks
Steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Lefforge:
Hello
I have a .378 Weatherby Magnum in Mark V that I would like to replace the #3 contour barrel with a #4 or #5 contour 26" Shilin(SP). Plus have it freebored and installed one or two mercury recoil reducers to help balance out the rifle. How much am I looking at to have this done (ball park figure)?

Thanks
Steve

http://www.itdcustomgun.com/

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
http://www.itdcustomgun.com/

Don I agree with you on ITD. They have done my last couple of rebarrels and will do my next. I was VERY happy with the work and cost. I have just used their "basic" Douglas.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote