Find
Notify
Tools

Shipping from U. S. to Canada???
 Login/Join

<BCSteve>
posted
I need some advsises.

I posted this thread on the Classified but I figured the gunsmiths must do lots of shipping and might know a thing or two about this.
I'm interested in a synthetic stock that's for sale in the Classified and I've contacted the seller. Neither of us has ever bought/sold, from/to over the border and don't know exactly how to this. How can we do this so it's safe and painless as possible for both of us?? I'm sure most guys on this forum are thrustworthy but how can we do this without anybody having to worry about not getting the product or the money. He's from Texas, I'm from B.C.

Thanks for your advises,

one of us
Picture of Whelen Nut
posted Hide Post
BCSteve

I just mailed a synthetic stock to a poster in NB via USPS. He sent me a Canadian MO in US funds.

No problem. Just take it to the PO and air mail it. You will have to fill out a customs form and declare a value. Your buyer will have to pay a tax based upon the value you declare. You could also mark the form indicating it is a gift and save your buyer some $$.

WN

Posts: 249 | Location: Northeast WI | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve-

Whelen Nut pretty much summed it up, so I'm really just chiming in to say it's very do-able, and don't miss a good deal just because of the border thing.

Apparently, your banks have no problems in writing money orders in US dollars, so send the funds that way. The seller just ships as normal, with the addition of one extra piece of paperwork that is easy & quick. On most things (small value...), I don't think Customs even gets involved. On higher dollar items (scopes, etc...), I think they take a small chunk in taxes.

While I've never had anything shipped *from* Canada, I've shipped a few things north. I know that at least shipping in that direction, I've never had a problem....

Good luck with your deal!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Note to seller: Some banks charge for foreign financial instruments (mine tried to charge $10 to deposit a Canadian M.O.).

Note to buyer: ask seller to put 'fiberglass handle' (technically true ) in the contents description field of the Customs form. You might still get held up for Customs duties on your end, which will probably be based on the declared value of the item.

CPS

<BCSteve>
posted
Thanks for the info guys. I just sent an e-mail to the seller and hopefully he'll still want to do business with me.

Steve