Find
Notify
Tools

Black Mountain barrels?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
I have a target rifle which is said to have been rebarreled with a "Black Mountain" brand barrel supposedly made in Australia.

I know next to nothing about that make of barrel except that mine shoots well enough for across-the-course work, and is tight enough that it shoots NATO .304" - to .307" 147 grain bullets (which often actually weigh around 143-144 grains) much better than American .308"groove diameter barrels do.

Anyway, my question is, "Do any of you know anything about the company which makes/made Black Mountain barrels?"

ANY info will be greatly appreciated.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know if they made your barrel, but:

http://www.lithgowarms.com/

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Craigster. I sent them an e-mail to find out if they did, and if not, anything they might know about who did.

Muchas Gracias

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is the response I got from Lithgow:

"Hi Lloyd,

Yes, we used to make Black Mountain barrels, and the brand and product will be relaunched later in the year.

Regards,
Ben Jones
Sales
Lithgow Arms
www.lithgowarms.com"

(Great guess, Craig.)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are a high quality hammerforged barrel made by the then government owned small arms factory in Lithgow NSW (SAF Lithgow)
It may well have a chrome lined bore
You will probably find that the steel is harder than US made barrels and more like that used by Lothar Walther

Posts: 45 | Location: Sydney,Australia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote