Find
Notify
Tools

Recoil pad question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 300magman
posted
I have a question. I have 2 1964 Model 70's not pre 64 but the first year they changed design. One is 30-06 the other .375 H&H. I have a very worn, aged original red pad on the .375. I would like to find new pads for both guns. I have not been able to find a pad to fit. It does not seem to match up to other post 64 pads.

I know I can have one ground to fit but any ideas on finding one pre fit. Thank you.

Posts: 323 | Location: Jackson, Miss | Registered: 12 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Brownells would be your best bet or the Pachmyer site. or Kickez.

Check individual manufacturers web sites not the deal sites as they may not carrie every configuration.
But in the end you may just have to have one fit to your stock.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Do you want a factory replica? or just a new pad that fits without grinding?

If the latter, go to Limbsaver's website - they have templates for all of their pre-fit pads. Follow directions to print them out and make sure they are sized correctly and not scaled to paper (they explain how). Then see if your stock - with pad off - fits any. I got a pad to fit a Winchester Model 100 this way one time.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 300magman
posted Hide Post
I have tried that with the limbsaver pads before and could not find a match. But I may have not sized them correctly.

i was trying to locate something similar to the original red winchester pad but at this point I will take what I can find.

Thank you.

Posts: 323 | Location: Jackson, Miss | Registered: 12 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Galazans They make repro Winchester pads.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I have installed and ground a number of pads myself. I have had gunsmiths do two for me; both charged $60 (plus cost of the pad) and did excellent work. One of them worked miracles on putting a pad on unaltered Browning Superposed I had (one of earlier serial numbers - hunt with it all the time). It had a really bad cracked factory hard plastic butt-plate that I could not find a match for, so decided to go with a recoil pad. He was able to make the Pachmyr decelerator (grind to fit model) fit the curve perfectly on the back of the stock - thus keeping the gunstock unaltered.

Check Connecticut Shotgun as well. I used the pad at the very top for a rifle for my father-in-law (and it had a nib) - very cool.

http://www.csmcspecials.com/category_s/18.htm

They have a couple of pads specifically made to fit pre-64 Winchesters, but your stock might be the same layout. I'd call them and ask if you could send a traced outline of your stocks to them to see if they match without grinding.

Again, I would just have a gunsmith install one. Both of mine were ground on the rifle with no damage to the finish (the other rifle was a Ruger 375 H&H - damn Ruger pads). They can also take measurements and grind "off the rifle" as well with some of the tools available for Brownells and Midwayusa.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my experience, there's no such thing as a "pre fit" recoil pad. Close maybe, but no cigar.

JMMV.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote