Find
Notify
Tools

Removing M98 extractor claw
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted
I have only ever dissasembled a mauser 98 bolt enough for cleaning. I just got a new bolt body with a nicer swept back bolt handle and can install my "innards" in the body but do not know how the long claw extractor is remover from the body. Can I get some dirrections please.
Thanks

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure someone will chime in with a clearer explanation, but basically you pull the "claw" end away from the bolt body until it clears the groove (in bolt), and then pull it forward until it comes off the extractor collar "ears".

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's right. I like to take it and while applying pressure with my thumb on the back end of the extractor, pushing towards the bolt face (to take it off) I then take a flat head screwdriver and carfully as I can just lift the claw up enough so that it comes out of its groove at the front of the bolt and pops off the retainer clip. Warning, it sometimes will go shooting so do somewhere that you'll be able to find it.

Getting it back on is where you are going to run into trouble. the clip that retains it, I don't know if it is called the C-clip or what, but that has to be compressed to get the extractor back on. you can sometimes do this with your thumb and index finger on the offside hand (left hand if you are a right hander).

You'd have to push down on that portion of the extractor with the other hand, (the part of the extractor that has the notch for the clip to slip into) while sliding it back on. Once you get it engaged there you can then lift the claw and get it over the edge of the bolt face and back into the groove.

was that clear? maybe a better writer could help us out.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
DAGO RED AND GLEN71 YA DONE JUST FINE. ALTHOUGH IT DOES HELP IF YOU HAVE THE SPECIAL MADE PLIERS TO COMPRESS THE COLLAR. NOT ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY BUT HELPFUL. BY THE WAY THEY CAN BE PURCHASED FROM WWW.E-GUNPARTS.COM. NOT EXPENSIVE.

PLEASE EXCUSE CAPS, HANDICAPPED TYPIST.

"THE" THREAD KILLER

IT'S OK......I'VE STARTED UP MY MEDS AGAIN. THEY SHOULD TAKE EFFECT IN ABOUT A WEEK. (STACI-2006)

HAPPY TRAILS

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

BILL

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Mauser Bolt Disassembly (it's a pdf document).

Here's some more information for other rifles (scroll down to the PDF files) Surplus Rifle

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
He beat me to it, that's a great resource for Mauser newbies...

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, all complete.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am concerned that since you don't know how to remove the claw extractor do you understand that the new bolt will need to be headspaced to your rifles chamber, least you blow up the gun and yourself, shame Just a concern, not a flame...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42155 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
Don't worry, the bolt is about the only thing fitted to the action at this point. As far as not knowing how to remove the extractor, I've never seen it done and the only way you learn is to ask. Most of my Assembly/disassembly knowledge is of pushfeed bolt guns, and this is my first mauser project.