Notify
Tools

Springs light vs heavy
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi just had a question.
light springs versus heavy springs.
I know in a bolt-action rifle a heavier striker spring then what comes in from a factory.Gives a faster lock up time witch can improve accuracy and then can improve performance.
But on a revolver and the mainspring if reduced is there any difference in accuracy or performance
of that revolver .Or dose it just make the hammer hit the primer lighter. Just say a factory has a 14 lb. mainspring that was installed, and you replace it with a 10 lb. mainspring what do you get from this?? Besides an easier pull on the hammer and a easier hit on the primer. [Confused]

one shot kills when you hit the mark------> (+)

Idaho Bob

Posts: 41 | Location: Idaho USA | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
<stans>
posted
Handguns are very different from rifles. Some handguns, like most 1911's, have a heavy hammer spring and will do well with a lighter spring. Others, such as Smith and Wesson and Ruger, do not do well with light hammer springs. I tried a lighter spring in my Ruger GP-100, it did not significantly improve the trigger, but it did lose a little accuracy. Light springs in some handguns will cause misfires (seen it many times with Smith & Wessons) and can cause groups to open due to light firing pin strikes. For most handguns, properly polished engagement surfaces will do more for the trigger pull than springs. At least that has been my experience.

<t_bob38>
posted
I once had a police officer bring in his Dan Wesson .357 that was misfireing with practice ammo. The gun had been reworked by someone and had a very light DA trigger pull. The hammer fall was so light that it required perfect ammo from a perfectly clean gun to fire. I put a proper spring back in and smoothed it up. Took a little stronger finger afterwards but at least he could be sure it would fire.