New
Find
Notify
Tools

Color case touch up
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I did some machining on a Ruger Single Six and need to touch up the case coloring on it. Is there a simple way to replicate the colors. Don't need to be perfect, and I am not going to completely re-case the frame. I have heard that there is a way to do it with a propane torch and cold blue?

Thanks,
John

Posts: 563 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if i remember right brownells used to carry a case color kit thing. I'd stay away from the torch & cold blue, the heat very well may destroy what you have now.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Brownells tech didn't have any ideas.

I can't believe someone out there doesn't have a trick for this.

John

one of us
posted Hide Post
It would take a very long post to fully describe what occurs during the case coloring process. This is not something that can be "touched up." It is physically impossible. And do not heat it with a torch. The only thing I cna htink to tell you is to rub some cold blue (no torch!) on it. Play with how you apply it and you can get an uneven finish that won't jump out at you as a solid spot would. It will not have much wear resitance, but it is the only thing I can think of

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I am aware of how true case color is done. I do not expect it to be a perfect match, just something that would hide it a little bit. The area is under the loading gate so it does not need a lot of wear resistance.

John