New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for someone to do some checkering
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for someone to do some checkering on a stock, for a rifle I am doing for my grandson. It is a highly figured piece of English Walnut.

I am in Idaho, near Boise,and would prefer someone close, however I would consider sending the stock to someone out of state.

A couple of questions;

Should I wait to put finish on stock until after it is checkered?

what should I expect to pay for a good, but basic checkering job? I am thinking of either side of grip area and a wrap around on fore end.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.
Shane

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shane,
The stock should have the finish applied before checkering is done. A basic point pattern you request can run $200 and up depending on the hourly rate of the shop. If you cannot find someone local to do your job, contact me to discuss details.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks!!

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim Smith-Lyon at classiccheckering.com. Fast, good and reasonable.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
carol @ ahlmans - ahlmans.com

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dean Zollinger is nearby I believe. He is working over a custom (by others) stock of mine now including checkering.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boxhead do you have any contact info for Dean? If so would you please either post it or PM me?
thanks
Shane

quote:
Originally posted by Boxhead:
Dean Zollinger is nearby I believe. He is working over a custom (by others) stock of mine now including checkering.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I've been very happy with John Reese's work.

Custom Diamonds

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I checked out their website and sent and email to them. Very nice work!
Shane

One of Us
posted Hide Post
deansgunshop@hotmail.com

quote:
Originally posted by npd345:
Boxhead do you have any contact info for Dean? If so would you please either post it or PM me?
thanks
Shane

quote:
Originally posted by Boxhead:

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks Boxhead! I will email him.
shane

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input!

I am going with John Reese of Custom Diamonds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just sent a Dakota stock to Ahlmans today for refinishing and checkering their #4 pattern. Suspect it will be done within a month. Next stock from one of my Zastava's will go to classic checkering and I'll post a follow up and include my thoughts as to the final results from each company.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6643 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe, I'd be VERY interested in seeing your conclusions!

I saw some of Ahlman's work 30 years ago and it was so bad it made me want to puke but that was then and this is now. I've known Tim at Classic for many years and while he's not necessarily the VERY best he's still light-years ahead of the Ahlman's work I saw 30 years ago.

Let's hope that Ahlman's has improved somewhat. Please keep us informed!
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the past 3-4 years have had Ahlman's/Carol do some 3 stocks and couple used her patterns and one used one of my design and have no complaints, turned out very nice indeed. Cost reasonable and turn around time some couple weeks. Suggest giving a call and discussing project with the lady that does the checkering.
Found best time to catch her is afternoon their time zone.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote