New
Find
Notify
Tools

Building a 7mm-08
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This may sound really weird but Where do I start?

I want to build off a Rem 700 Action,
I am gonna use a HS stock, most likely a LTR stock.
I want a 20-22" Barrel.

I want to start getting Parts fot this project in the next couple days.

CNF

You gonna take that last Bite?

Posts: 52 | Location: North Central, MO | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are almost describing the Rem 700 LVSF, which was made in some non-cataloged 7-08 and 308 (and now also in 243 Win) versions.

22" stainless barrel, nice semi-beavertail synthetic stock, the new REM3(sp?) recoil pad.

I like mine in 221 Fireball and 7-08...

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Really. I figured I would have to build to get a Rem. 7mm-08.

Posts: 52 | Location: North Central, MO | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would much rather go with a Howa action!!

It has a flat base, built in recoil lug, better for bedding, sako extractor and plunger ejector, uses the same base for optic mounting as the Remington, and the trigger it comes with, is adjustable down to 1,5 and the safety wont go off, and even the bolt is in one piece.

From now on, all my rifles will be built on a howa instead of a remington!! Exept for some big calibers! Wich I will be using a mauser.

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You really picked a nice caliber. I have hunted with a Rem 700 varmint barrel cut to 20 inches in a 7mm08 for over 20 years. It is my go to rifle for deer and will kill bigger stuff but I don't hunt bigger stuff yet.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should probably start with the bullet you want to use. Then look at the twist required for it. Once you have made that decision I would pick a barrel. I would also reccommend a thicker recoil lug. It should not be any more trouble to install since you are rebarreling anyway, but you will have to modify the stock.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You asked where to start. First, procure the action that you want to build on. Everything else depends on what action you come up with. After you have the action, the stock, barrel, etc. sort of fall into line. Are you planning to use a gunsmith or do it yourself? If using a smith, involve him/her early in the process. The smith can get better pricing than you can on most of the components (possibly including the action).

Clemson

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 338 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found a Rem 700 Sendero 7mag. Where do I go from here? Do I need a new barrel or can the existing one be rechambered? Also I realize I will be going from Long action to short action. Or do I find a .308 or .22-250 already short action and rebarrel. I am gonna try and find a good smith and discuss everything with, however I would like to have at least some of the components already here ready to get the ball rolling..

Thanks again,

CnF

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Clemson, I was'nt thinking about what I just read when I posted. I want to go with a Rem 700 action and Would like to use a HS stock. Not sure what barrel I want to go with..

Thanks,

CnF

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you need to find a varmint special & rebarrel it. The action will be the right length & the bolt face will be the right diameter. It will already have the stock that you want on it. The bolt face on the 7mm mag will be too large for the 308 based 7mm08. The 7mm08 is an excellent round, I think you will enjoy it. I have one in a Mountain rifle & a Varmint Laminated Stocked version as well.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cupped_N_Fallin:
I have found a Rem 700 Sendero 7mag. Where do I go from here? Do I need a new barrel or can the existing one be rechambered? Also I realize I will be going from Long action to short action. Or do I find a .308 or .22-250 already short action and rebarrel.

Thanks again,

CnF

CnF: As mentioned, the 7 Mag bolt face no workee, plus the magazine/follower would need changing or altering to feed the 7-08.
Other than the satisfaction of building (or paying for) your own, there are factory rifles very similar to what you want. I mentioned the Rem LVSF, and Howa also has a nice 7-08 offering, though few will have the shorter barrel you mentioned.
If you handled the Rem, I think you would be impressed.
Wait till you see what a good `smith needs to charge for your project!!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=43197127

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
The 7mag you are thinking about is just too much work & your result will be less than desirable. If you want a M700, find a doner in .243 or .308 & start there, you are half way home. Thne think about bbl. & stock. Personnaly, I see no point in a 20: bbl. on anything, go 22". I like PacNor, but others have their favorites too.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
I used a Sako 308 action Douglas bbl and B&C stock. Turned out very nicely and had to do nothing to the action. I think gunsmith labor was my biggest expense. Right after it was completed. a Sako Delux in 7-08 came up on the net. Price was about what my custom cost.

Posts: 375 | Location: College Station, Tx | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mulerider Thanks for the info. I really did'nt know the LVSF came in 7mm-08. I may do that or start with the .243 or .308 like Fred said.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cupped_N_Fallin:
Mulerider Thanks for the info. I really did'nt know the LVSF came in 7mm-08. I may do that or start with the .243 or .308 like Fred said.

It gets better....
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPa...57/products_id/96194