Find
Notify
Tools

300 H&H BBL rechambered?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted
I have a Stainless Pac Nor barrel chambered in 300 H&H. It is fitted to my Winchester 70, but I also have a 375 barrel for the same receiver, so I just don't get around to switching the barrels.

I would like to put the barrel into service, so I am thinking of having a gunsmith setting it back and refitting the barrel to another receiver, in the 300 H&H or perhaps the 30/338 or the 308 Norma, maybe the 300 WM, assuming any of those choices will clean up the chamber.

My question is will about one inch of barrel shank be enough? Right now the barrel has about two inches of shank, before the taper begins. About half will be used to re-thread. The barrel contour is a copy of the Sako magnum.

Thanks,
KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't think you would have to set the barrel back that much. All the rounds you are talking about should clean up the chamber I believe by just setting it back enough to take up the case difference.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Or you could simply re-cut it to the 300 Wound-a-Beast, the only setback that might be required is if the existing belt recess is to deep

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Tailgunner,
This barrel is threaded for the Mod 70 with the claw extractor, so it has the coned breech and extractor cut-out.

So, you see that the barrel will have to be set back and completely rethreaded, unless I'm lucky enough to find another Mod 70, and the extractor cut turns in exactly right. That's not likely to happen.

KB

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, you see that the barrel will have to be set back and completely rethreaded, unless I'm lucky enough to find another Mod 70, and the extractor cut turns in exactly right. That's not likely to happen.

While I'm no expert on the M70. Why couldn't the barrel just be set back enough to 1/4" needed to reduce for case length plus what it would then take to line up the extractor cut. Then recut the extractor and cone.

If you wanted to stay 300H&H couldn't you just setback the part of a turn that is needed to line up the extractor and just refinish the chamber, cone and cut? Just like you would to align sights.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote