New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako semi-custom upgrade questions...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Finally came across the perfect candidate for my next project today. An older Sako L61R (of the Garcia era) in 25-06. If anyone would care to date this gun for me its serial number 614xx.
I would like to do two things to this gun and would appreciate your input and referrals. One, I want a semi-custom stock made and glass bedded. It should be made similar to a Dakota 76 style stock with a check piece, ebony forend, and a decent piece of english or circasson walnut with some fairly straight grain with good stripes. An existing pattern inletted off a duplicator is fine. Nothing fancy but a matt type hand rubbed oil finish is desired preferably using a synthetic waterproof material that has its gloss cut... Checkering pattern should be simple and not too fine...maybe not less than 20.
lpi. Simple recoil pad like a Pachmar is fine. Off the shelf metal grip cap is fine as well. Would be willing to invest, say $1200 for the stock work.
Second, Am interested in removing the front sight and base which is what? Soldered on? And having the gun refinished with either a good rust blue or a fine bead blast and traditional matte blue. My main concern is that most Sakos exhibit that purplish hue over time due to the content of the steel used and I want to avoid that is possible. I'd expect a rust blue to run around $300 and maybe $125 for a good bead blast/blue job. I'm going to have the trigger worked over and the action trued but I already have someone I trust lined up for that. He does 1st rate metal work but not the rest. Any suggestions for what I'm looking for? Also, let me know if I'm crazy in terms of expectations and cost... Thanks

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kentuck,

The front sight is screwed on with 2 screws. The rearmost screw is easy to remove, and the front one you have to drift out the bead sideways, it is underneath. Never seen one soldered.

If you don't want both the front and rear sights (Should be a Williams) you can sell them to me, I am looking for a set to fix up a 308 Sako older than yours.

Dating is difficult, I e-mailed SAKO and a guy called Pentti Louhisola told me that all those records are kept but not in a computer, it would take a few hours to research. I said not to worry, he'd helped enough with some other technical question.

Good luck, it should be a nice rifle when done. Make sure your stockmaker beds the front of the action properly - you need support ahead of and behind the recoil lug, but the bottom of the lug must not touch, otherwise she strings.

Cheers

Pete

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete, I looked again and again and there aren't any screws on that front sight. It never had a rear sight as Sako offered a receiver peep as an accessory way back when. I've seen several Sakos like this ie: a front and no rear.

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure when Sako started screwing the front sights on, but I know that all of my pre-Garcia's have soldered-on front sights. If you are rebluing the barrel anyway, it's a simple task to just melt it off.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote