Find
Notify
Tools

Stock question...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all!

Just ordered a new stock for my Win Mod 70 in 7mm Rem Mag from Richard's Mircrofit. I notice on the factory stocks it appears as if they have installed a reinforcing rod in the stocks (Mod 70 and M700). Richard's said that they do not put those on the stocks and to have a 'smith do it.

My question is, do they really need to be there if I am planning to bed the action? If so, is this something I could do myself?

Thanks!

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
With a proper bedding job I don't think you NEED them, but on a classic style stock they sure look cool.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am with ElCaballero on this one. With the proper bedding in the recoil lug area, I think it will be fine. Alot will also depend on the stock layout and the grain flow.
I'm sure some of the qualified stock makers can answer this better than I can.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
if it is semi-decent grain structure and you bed it well, then I would only have bolts added if you want them for the looks. That is purely a personal thing-Ford vs. Chevy if you will. Not needed but sure won't hurt anything either if you want them for the looks.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote