New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shotgun doctor suggestions?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any suggestions for a smith to do a shotgun restoration?

I have a Nazi-era JP Sauer that could use the wood either refinished or replaced, barrels blued, and do something about the case color on the receiver.

Any tips on someone fast, good, and cheap (HAHA!) appreciated.

Sam B.
http://www.fireflyarms.com

Posts: 497 | Location: Lewistown, PA USA | Registered: 21 December 2000Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
Sam,

Contact Chris at the Autumn Gun Works in Goshen, CT. He is a dealer and knows a expert that does just what you are talking about.

But that's not for me. In fact he had a Sauer that was just what I was looking for in a pheasant gun. It was a SS 12 with tight chokes and 26" bbls. That gun has such a good balance. It had all the special, extra features too. However it was owned by some rich guy and must have spent a long time in the jeep where the dogs sit. Such a gun is not for me. I want a nice looking shooter with style and class. But I can't afford the double wammy of the cost to buy it and then make it perfect in terms of looks. This one was a post war Stoeger version. Not as fine as what you have I am sure but a nice gun but for the fact that it's trashed.

Look him up with AnyWho. He does not have a web page.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sam, call Pete Mazur, Grass Valley CA, 530 268 2412. He has made his livelihood from restoring old firearms. He is certainly one of the best if not the best in the business.

Chic

[ 09-20-2002, 01:05: Message edited by: Customstox ]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Agree, Pete's work is flawless and like any work that is flawless, it ain't cheap. Make sure the gun is worth enough to invest the bucks to bring it back to pristine. Many folks (I did it once...)buy a double that needs "some work" and quickly invest (or figure it out before spending the bucks) more than the piece is worth or that one in better condition could have been bought. Of course if the piece has sentimental value than all logic can go out the window!

Posts: 354 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help guys!

I'm not sentimental about this shotgun. I picked it up cheap and I figure if I dump another $1k into it, it'll still be a fair bargain. I like the style and it fits me nicely.

I'll place some calls today and see how bad it's going to hurt...

Sam B.
http://www.fireflyarms.com

Posts: 497 | Location: Lewistown, PA USA | Registered: 21 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might also try Stan Baker at 10000 Lake City Way in Seattle. He does a lot of work on European and English doubles. Okie John.

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
David Yale in Yellowjacket, Colorado will also do a great job. I had him restore a basket-case turn-of-the-century Remington SxS that was a family heirloom. The gun looks a lot better than it did when new. As I recall, David also does warranty work for some of the big-name English makers, if that gives you an idea of the quality of his work.

Posts: 3845 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Doug Turnbull restorations and Pete Mazur. I can vouch for them.....in spades.

<1GEEJAY>
posted
hey'
Okie John mentioned one of the best Shotgun smiths in the country.He does tons of work on competition shotguns,and is also a fine Shotgun barrel maker.
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com