Find
Notify
Tools

Stock style
 Login/Join

<JoeM>
posted
Hello
Can anybody tell me any personal experience with the stock style on the bottom?

-

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
They are too heavy, they are awkard, one can get a broken thumb while hunting and they are slow to mount and shoot game with and a pain for hunting. Oh, and they are ugly as hell...a through back to modern art in its worst form.

thumb hole stocks seem to appeal to folks with little field experience and thoes who like chrome plated pistols, women of the evening, drugs, pimps, pig farming. used car salesmen, politicians and general ner do wells whos taste is all in their mouth...

What I'm saying is I don't like them..

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Used to see a lot of these in the late 60s and early seventies. While they may, under some circumstances, be comfortable enough to hold they are usually awkward and, to my eye, homely. I could maybe live with the middle stock if I could wear a disguise while using it. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3780 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I rather like the look / feel of those thumbhole stocks, never had a problem with them and no complaints as of yet.

Posts: 675 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
The middle stock is on my custom-built .416 Remington Magnum. I'm pleased with it for many reasons. I stained it a bit darker, though. It's sort of "reddish brown" now. In the first picture of this article, it is the one on the right.

You either love thumbhole stocks or you don't. I love them.

Russ

[ 06-27-2002, 09:54: Message edited by: Russell E. Taylor ]

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
I like a thumbhole sporter. They point faster for me,allow the trigger hand to help absorb recoil and just feel good.

The comment regarding the tendency to break one's thumb,reminds of a comment an Old Timer I work with made,on a rifle I had just received from the Gunsmith. It was another 257Wby,with a #4 contour fluted barrel. Anyhow,his sole concern was in regards to the flutes. Why,you ask? "Because they could cut your hand!".

That one tickled me to no end. Despite having had multiple thumbhole variations and fluted barrels,I've yet to break a thumb or cut my hand upon the flute. Then again,lightning hasn't got me either,so I just may be treading on borrowed time!?!

I don't know where folks come up with this stuff,but I thoroughly enjoy it.............

[ 06-27-2002, 16:40: Message edited by: Big Stick ]

<allen day>
posted
I was on a hunt on northern Arizona a few years ago, and one of the other hunters in camp had a custom 7mm Rem. Mag. from the Harry Lawson company. It was stocked with what they call call the "Cochise Thumbhole" style. This Lawson version is the best thumbhole-type stock I've ever handled by far and away. As much as I hate to admit it, I rather liked that rifle, and it felt pretty good for deliberate aiming.

Even so, and this is to underscore one of the points Ray made, it was much slower to get into action than a professionally-designed American Classic style stock. I suggest stocks made in the style of Al Biesen, D'Arcy Echols, Dale Goens, or Winchester's current Super Grade Model 70 instead of the thumbhole.

Now if you insist on that sort of stock anyway, I'd call the Harry Lawson Company in Tucson and order a Cochise Thumbhold blank instead of the one in the photo. It's a superior product for its type.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bigstick,
I simply mentioned the broke thumb because I had a hunter whose horse jumped and hit his rifle (thumbhole) and snapped his digit nearly off...we wrapped his wrist with a piece of latigo off the saddle and made a Rooster Cogburn to the sawbones and they sewed most of it back on, but it still doesn't work much....so you see we is all a product of our enviorment [Wink] After all light'n does strike.

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
Don't know why Ray,but I just saw much humor in that.

Kinda' like swaying someone away from a 416Remington,for fear a man might get a digit stuck in the bore.

Lightin' can,will and do strike. No getting around that............

one of us
posted Hide Post
The bottom one doesn't do much for me, but the middle one is fine with me.
Where the thumbhole stocks really work for me is for a prone varmint rifle. It is much more comfortable to lay behind with your hand in the ready position with a thumbhole than any other stock. When that wily coyote, rockchuck, or whatever comes out for a peek I want my hand to be ready and not cramped from being in an awkward position.
I also believe when the shooting is slow and deliberate, that thumbholes give you the best trigger control than any other type of stock.

I'm a little curious about what Ray thinks, though. He seems to be way too subtle these days in expressing his opinion. [Wink] [Smile] - Sheister

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
I was just sittin' here,trying to cypher what I'd tell my Wife?!? That after breaking my right thumb,on my thumbholed 416 and having my left index finger stuck in the bore,all at the same while.(grin)...............

<JoeM>
posted
Well I have to admit, I do like the thumbhole design. I ordered the one on the top. But in a different color scheme. That is the Saddleback, as opposed to the "dual-grip" in the middle. With the saddleback, you have to use the thumbhole, with the dual grip you dont.

I kinda liked the Wildcat the bottom one, whether you love it or hate it, it does turn heads. But I was/am concerned about the shape of the rollover. I dont know if that shape would not result in a stock that is too low, or one that would be impossible to get a good cheek weld on.

Can anyboyd address the strength of the Wildcat?
[Sorry Ray [Wink] ]

[ 06-28-2002, 21:30: Message edited by: JoeM ]

<biff>
posted
Oh come on now Ray tell us how you really feel... Dont hold back [Big Grin] gabe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray.....those people you described who like thumbhole stocks....aren't these the ones you had to hang out with when you were in DEA? Do you have any photos of you undercover with your chrome-plated pistol and your arms around a coke-snorting hooker?

[ 06-28-2002, 22:34: Message edited by: DB Bill ]

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote