New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aftermarket stock for Ruger 77
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Ruger 77 Mk11 SS 30-06 with the "boatpaddle" stock. Midsouth offers the following replacement stocks:
Hogue with pillar block $86
Hogue with full length block $168
Carbelite $135
Syn-tech $65
Does anyone know if the bedded stocks shoot better?
My gun show symptoms of improper bedding, i.e. stringing, 2 groups within a group, that kind of stuff. I like the gun but hate the stock. I'm going to buy a replacement. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this gun.
Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You just ruined my day - I have a mint stainless 77 MKll in 7mm mag on lay away - getting this rifle because of that boat paddle stock - in my opinion it has got to be stiffer and more durable than some of the hollow out molded versions I have seen on other rifles. Plus I just like the look of this stock with the SS action and barrel. Others who have posted here tell me how accurate their rifles are with this stock - curious - does this stock of yours have the buldge at the forend of the barrel channel to put pressure on the barrel? - If it does some recommend sanding down this buldge and free floating the barrel - good luck. Will be interested to see what you wind up with and the results.

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Max. That "two grouping" just might be a scope problem. Maybe one of the side screws holding th scope to the base is a bit loose, or maybe loose scope screws, and there is always the possibility that the scope itself has a problem. Are thea ction screws properly tightened. The front should be very tight, the rear not quite as tight and the center screw just snug enough to hold.
I had a Winchester M70 that wouldn't shoot for crap. Tried everything, glass bedding, trigger job, rebedded twice IIRC. Last resort was to try a different scope. I mean nobody sends out a brand new scope that's bad, right? Wrong. It was the scope. Leupold fixed it and things are fine, and the rifle is a tackdriver.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My main reason for getting the stock is looks. I picked it up used, for a good price, and I've finally got some $ to spend on a new stock.
I shoot it a lot. 50-100 rounds at a session is normal. BTW I shoot cast. I notice that the groups "walk" as the barrel heats up. I don't believe it has the pressure point. I've gotten some MOA groups with cast, and it regularly shoots MOA or better with 168g HPBT's.
I've decided I'm going to buy a new stock and was wondering if anyone has any experience with restocking one of these rifles.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Max,

I've restocked one in a Boyd's JRS laminate. Turned out nicely and shoots well -- maybe a smidge better than in the factory synthetic (new style, not the boat paddle).

You could also get a High Tech Specialties synthetic from Brownell's and save some weight. But costs more and you'll need to put on a recoil pad with epoxy and get it painted.

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I replaced my Ruger .338 stock with a Hogue Rubber-Overmolded, the one with pillars. The one with a full aluminum bed costs around $200.00 at Cabela's (unless they have lowered its price lately).

There may be better looking stocks than Hogue's, but if "looks' is not a concern, then I would suggest you buy a Hogue. I would buy the most expensive of the two, since the full bed makes it more rigid.

The rubber coating on these stocks makes them quiet, and warmer to the touch. The coating also provides for a firm non-slippery grip. The recoil pad is very thick, and tames recoil much better that the old Ruger one.

The new Ruger rifles don't have the "boat paddle" stock anymore.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with John F and Ray Alaska.

I have a batch of short action Ruger Mk2s, in a batch of calibers.

I have several with the JRS stock from Boyds, they are about 125.00 finished. You can also get a thumbholer which I did for a friend, and if you want to finish it yourself, which I have also done a few of, you can get one for about $80.00 and change.

I also put a Hogue Rubber stock on a 223, that originally had a wood stock. I also had rebarreled the rifle to a Stainless, 24 inch heavy sporter in 223, with a one in 8 twist for the longer bullets, 69 to 80 grains.

Occasionally when the weather is really bad and rainy I will put the Rubber stock on the 260 Remington for hunting. It is really in its element when the weather is bad, like in Alaska for Ray there.
The Hogue was under a $100.00 from I believe I got mine at Natchez Shooters Supply.

Can't go wrong either way, and I myself, bought both routes!!! [Roll Eyes] [Cool]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rifleman1:
You just ruined my day - I have a mint stainless 77 MKll in 7mm mag on lay away - getting this rifle because of that boat paddle stock

Rifleman1,
I think you'll like your rifle. I like mine a lot. I found out something today. Before I went shooting I brushed the barrel with a piece of Chore Boy copper pad wrapped around an old brush (I shoot lead). This is a lead removal method I'd heard about but hadn't tried. The gun shot very well for about 35 shots, then my groups opened up badly. I came home and cleaned again. I'm curious to see how it shoots next time out. I've seen guys at cast bullet matches clean after every 20 rounds or so.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am looking for a use syt ruger factory to fit a MK 11 338 any one of you have one that wants to part with it.

Posts: 19616 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
I am looking for a use syt ruger factory to fit a MK 11 338 any one of you have one that wants to part with it.

PDS,

I have the one I took off my .280 -- Brownell's catalog lists it as different from the .338 or .300 but for some reason they show the .25-06 as fitting the magnum stock. Check it out and if you think it'll work send me a PM.

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've seen several M77 MkII's that shot into two groups, especially shortly after new. On a lot of them, I think the recoil lug just beat into the wood, I put a screwdriver on the front screw, and it would turn half a revolution. If it did this, I took the stock off and retorqued all of them, groups returned to normal. when the rifles had this problem, groups were normally left to right variation, not up and down, so I think the screw was tight enough to hold a shot or two, then maybe two or three after it shifted, there's so much room around that lug, it sure can move. The bad thing is, if I had put new stocks on these, they would have been fixed and I'd blame it on the factory stock.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John Frazer you have PM

Posts: 19616 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That boat paddle stock looks pretty strong and stout, as far a pretty? one plastic stock looks just like another, all ugly, all have no feel, no warmth, no nothing that I can see..You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear, so why not save yourself a couple of hundred bucks, find out why its shooting like it does and fix it...glass bed it, but first check out the mounts and scope..You have some movement somewhere and that means the mounts are loose, the scope is broke, or the action is moving in the stock...Try some shims so you will have an idea how to bed it...these things are a cinch to fix, once you locate the problem, short of a bad barrel.....

If you just want to buy a new stock then the above is not applicable I hope but it may very well be.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote