New
Find
Notify
Tools

cz-550 glass bedding ?
 Login/Join

<halfbreed>
posted
hello all, i know the cz threads have been done to death, BUT my cz 458 wm.has a bad vertical stringing problem. the fist 2 shots are touching, then as things heat up, the next shots start running sideways. i know it has a pad in the forearm.i was thinking free floating the bbl, glass bed the stock,2" on the barrel, receiver, tang. do you think this would stop the stringing. also thought at the same time, this would be a good time to fill the receiver screw holes with bedding as well. not really pillar bedding, but would have to help.
any thoughts from the pros here would be greatly appreciated. and yes i really do enjoy the hogback style stock. i have no plans of changing it. halfbreed

<halfbreed>
posted
sorry for the double post, i don't know how this happened. would a moderator delete this post. thanks halfbreed

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fire some groups, each shot from a cold barrel. If that�s a fine group it means good bedding and heat disturbs things. Then check for second shot POI.

If gun shoots well this way, go hunting. If not, glass bed rifle.

Hermann

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
halfbreed,
First, get rid of that piece of plastic that the action recoil lug beds up against and glass bed the action recoil lug. That might do it. My 458 Lott conversion from a 458WinMag works well like this, though I haven't finished checking it's accuracy with a scope yet. But, 3 shots into 1/2 to 3/4 inch at 50 yards with iron sights during load development is promising.

Then proceed stepwise to the extreme of adding real pillar bedding (instead of the spacers around the action screws) to the stock, putting a real second recoil lug on the barrel (instead of the machinery that comes from the factory) and eliminate the screw through the forend, glass bed the new barrel lug as usual, free floating the barrel beyond (or up pressure, or full contact, depending on the rifle.). I have a 378 WBY made from a 375 H&H by this route and it shoots sub MOA
with the barrel free floated muzzleward beyond the barrel lug, and all the rest of the above.

First do the simple main action lug bedding and see if that does it. If so stop there. IMHO. I do not charge for this advice. [Big Grin]

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
<halfbreed>
posted
daggaron, thanks for the detailed information! in my original post, i mis-stated the problem. actually it is all a horizontal stringing. and i did let the bbl cool somewhat between shots. and cleaned after every five shots. i figured the glass bedding would cure the problems, but i wanted to hear from other cz owners, to see if they were having similar problems.
thanks halfbreed

one of us
posted Hide Post
Halfbreed,
I see. I can't help there, as I always do some kind of bedding fix on the CZ's in 375, 416, or 458, and have never shot them for accuracy testing without at least glass bedding the main recoil lug on the action.

one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW,
I do love the CZ 550 hogback/Euro stock design, and wouldn't dream of swapping it for anything but a synthetic set up for scope use.