THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quality of online based gunsmithing courses?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Interested in starting an online based gunsmithing course, primarily for my own edification and to stave off some boredom. Has anyone done coursework through Penn Foster? Seems their course runs about $800 and covers a pretty broad base of gunsmithing topics (which is what I'm looking for). I in no way anticipate this to make me a master, or even rudimentary, independent smith. Just some fun learning. Anyone with suggestions or comments?

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with online courses but you might be better off investing in a library of books on Gunsmithing, classics by Howe and Dunlap etc. and studying those rather than an online course, then obtain some old firearms to practice on.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2 kinds of smithing and IMO the on-line & mail-order courses are fine for one of them.

General smithing, repair, refinishing, etc. then IMO the on-lines are fine.

Customs and special fabrication smithing OTOH IMO require hands-on up-close-&-personal question-&-answer sessions with more or less instant feedback & guidance throughout the particular process being taught at the moment.

IMO there's no such thing as too many books, especially gun books. The smithing books are good for both general and custom work, and the custom/deluxe gun books are an inspiration in the custom fabbing arena.

There are summer smithing seminars being offered by some smithing schools, 1 or 2 weeks at a time. I strongly recommend them.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I certainly would consider myself in the first categor, and only on my own firearms. This is not a possible business venture at all for me. Might just pick up some books for now and see if that satiates/educates me enough for my liking/needs.

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Easiest way for me to explain the difference is to say that the online and book info will teach you to change parts and refinish guns, while the hands-on courses will teach you to make parts and make guns. That's somewhat of an oversimplification but IMO is generally true for most folks.

Roy Dunlap's book Gunsmithing is perhaps the most popular general text and would be my first recommendation.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you both. Just ordered a copy if Dunlap's book.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Save your money and buy a few books on how to TAKE APART MOST FIREARMS. Look around on Brownell's sight and look at their TECH SECTIONS.

Look at the posts on this site and you will find all types of gunsmithing and how to make a custom stock. Save these pages and refer back when you need a little help. There is more gunsmiths on this forum than any other place and most have made a good living in this field. Every one of these people will help you if you post a question here. Do a search for any topic and see what comes up. My post at the top of this page has a lot of basic info on stockmaking. Their is another good topic in the Custom Rifle section by Brad Hinn going on right now.

If you want to buy a small lathe to learn how these machines operate just look at the mini lathes to start out. You can make alot of small parts with these and then if you want to get into the big machines later you can always sell the mini lathe. If you want to learn alot quickly go to the NRA gunsmith classes in the summer time. It is a good vacation to go to
TSJC in Trinidad, Co. NRA Center in just about 30 miles away for shooting out to 1000 yds.

Repairing firearms is a learned hands on what ever gun you have to work on. This is where you need the Disassembly and Assembly Books. For $800 you can buy a mini lathe and lots of good books on gunsmithing.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this question I have been thinking about the same thing, the advice here seems sound to me. This is way I have join. Thanks again

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had over 40 years experience working on just about anything mechanical, antique furniture and toy restorations, etc. I had developed skills welding, machining, woodworking, wood and metal finishing, in general, all the basic skills for gunsmithing except direct firearms related training. I used American Gunsmithing Institute (AGI) correspondence school to get firearms related book-learning. It worked for me as a way to get started as a part-time gunsmith while I was still working full time. Now "retired", I have been a "full-time" gunsmith since retiring and loving it. The AGI course is not for everyone, particularly anyone without the basics like I had. The best course of action will be what works for you. Be prepared to adapt your plan as needed.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote