Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stevens 44
 Login/Join

posted
I'm considering having the breechblock for a Stevens rimfire converted to centerfire, would anyone know how difficult or expensive such work would be, who would do this work? thanks for any replies.

Tim

Posts: 16 | Location: gibsonia | Registered: 21 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim;

If your are considering converting a Stevens 44 action to centerfire you may want to reconsider. The 44 action is a swinging block action and as such is not all that strong. Stevens did make some centerfire rifles on 44 actions, they didn't hold up very well and were discontinued. The 44 action makes a very nice adult size rimfire that is highly prized by some singleshot fans.

Posts: 231 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: 08 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Aas an alternative, I would suggest purchasing an action or barreled action already set up for a centerfire cartridge from CPA. You can view there products at http://www.singleshotrifles.com. I have seen and handled several of the rifle they build, and the quality has been consistently excellent.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3821 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
<xs headspace>
posted
The only Stevens action good for centerfire(and only for 38-55, or 32-40 pressures) was the 44 1/2. This one had a true dropping(sliding) breechblock, versus the 44 and Favorite block, which pivoted down.

one of us
posted Hide Post
44s were made for various blackpowder CF cartridges certainly up to 32-40 and perhaps 38-55, I am not sure about the last. But it is not a strong action.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote