Find
Notify
Tools

How to avoid blued metal turning dark copper
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I have some metal parts on an old Mauser, bolt and bolt release spring, that turned dark copper.

I had them reblued, but they turn back to copper color after the process.

Any ideas?

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can rust blue them to turn them black.

Lightly sand them with 400 to 600 grit wet dry, then rust using commercial rust blue solution (available from Brownells). Boil in distilled water, card off loose rust, and repeat until you get the finish you want. Usually about 2 or 3 applications over a purple/gold hot blue will get it looking good.

dave

Posts: 1115 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the bluing salts that most folks use these days, but in 1959-60 when I was doing bluing with BluBlak salts, in many instances the purpulish toned work could be made to go black simply by adding enough salts (or decreasing the water content, or turning up the heat) to the mix to increase the temperature about 3 to 5 degrees and holding it there a while.

The method I used was to just let a bit of the water content boil off and decrease the rate at which it was replaced.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You used to see it on some Greener GP shot gun receivers here in England. It was said to be a combination of:

1) Low grade steel being finished with
2) Tired bluing salts being re-used once too often
3) At the WRONG temperature...

Came out a copper brown colour.

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
was doing bluing with BluBlak salts, in many instances the purpulish toned work could be made to go black simply by adding enough salts (or decreasing the water content, or turning up the heat) to the mix to increase the temperature about 3 to 5 degrees and holding it there a while.

That is what I did when I was bluing as a second job from my garage.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
The purpleish color some parts take on over time is a result of nickel content in the steel. There's not much you can do except reblue, and then as you've seen it will turn purple again over time. Older Rugers are notorious for this.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
When I had my HOT CAUSTIC blueing up and running at first I would get diffrent colors on some parts. Depended on alloy of steel or heat treat. If your useing the hot caustic blue system I found brownells oxynates "s" solved 99% of the plum and purple colors.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill Ruger paid for spectograph analysis of his parts to determine the cause of plum coloration in his investment cast parts. Silicate added to the molten alloy to better allow it to flow into the far reaches of the mold was determined to be the cause.

quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
The purpleish color some parts take on over time is a result of nickel content in the steel. There's not much you can do except reblue, and then as you've seen it will turn purple again over time. Older Rugers are notorious for this.

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote