New
Find
Notify
Tools

adams & Bennet barrels
 Login/Join

<OTTO>
posted
In the Midway catalog they have Adams & Bennet barrels with CoreLite synthetic stocks for Mausers. Has anyone tried these yet. I'm talking an inexpensive mauser project here. If it will shoot 2" at 100yds it may be worth it to build a shooter.

------------------
From my cold, dead hands!
Thanks Chuck!

<Puddle>
posted
Otto,

The A&B barrels have been discussed quite a bit here. Do a search on the topic.

I did a Mauser econo-project using an A&B barrel & Fajen stock from Midway. The goal was to return a worn out camp rifle back to use. Turned out very well with 1.25" groups from handloads. This barrel fouls about what you'd expect from factory barrels. I got more than I expected considering what I put into it.

<OTTO>
posted
I did the search. They sound kina hit-n-miss as far as quality. Then for another $50 brownells has Douglas barrels.

------------------
From my cold, dead hands!
Thanks Chuck!

one of us
posted Hide Post
All depends what kind of money you want to put into the project. For an inexpensive shooter, they should be fine. I believe they are E.R.Shaw barrels, if that makes any differance. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like most things you get what you pay for in a barrel...I use Lothar-Walther and they are expensive but the barrel is the most important part of a rifle...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41875 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have my Mauser M98 barreled by a A&B barrel, in cal. 416 Taylor. It shoots great, and after a J&B bore polish treatment i belive it's easyer to keep clean too.

------------------
Shoot well, and hit hard.

Arild.
(And YES, I'm a NRA member!)

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Otto:

I have an A&B barrel in .338-06 attached to a Danzig 1904 action. After properly breaking it in, it meets your accuracy criteria. If you're looking for a smith in MN, let me know. I can give you the name of the gentelman who built mine.

Ryan

Posts: 425 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We have discussed this before, they are made by Wilson, not Shaw.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Multi Vis>
posted
Otto I just put together a 98 with a A&B barrel in 260 rem. I had a Ramline 98 stock already which I think is equal to the Corelite that Midway sells. Just got back from the range this morning and its shooting 3/4" to 1" at 100yds. and thats with starting loads so it can only get better. They are a very good deal for projects like you are going to do and because of the price most people under rate them. IMHO::::::MV

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know of several that use A&B barrels almost exclusively, and they are a bargain. I have two in the works myself, a 35 whelen and a 22-250.

Good luck and good shooting

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd be interested in using the A&B barrel/Corelite combo from Midway, but the barrels are just a bit shorter than what I want for my rifles. Any way to get them longer?

TXLoader

Posts: 115 | Location: Bryan, TX, USA | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Multi Vis>
posted
TXLoader you can order the A&B barrel blank in the bore size you want as they come in 26" lenghts then have your smith turn it to the wanted contour then thread it and chamber it.::::MV

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with A&B barrels. Here's a Corelite/A&B combo in 35 Whelen that I finished last night:

Posts: 497 | Location: Lewistown, PA USA | Registered: 21 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
How do you all install the A&B and other pre-threaded barrels with 60 degree threads? Do you simply screw them in or do you run a 60 degree tap into the receiver?

I've always cut the whitworth thread and haven't used a pre-threaded barrel yet.

Thanks,

Mike

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cousin, You glass these barrels in cuz they never fit...Be sure and use a Weaver scope with lots of windage...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41875 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
$99 for the .243 barrel and stock

http://www.midwayusa.com/online/productpage.exe/showproduct?SaleItemID=616310&KeyWord=243+mauser

I ordered one, will let you know how it shoots.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote