THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington custom Alaskan Wilderness Rifle..
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Who has one of these or has shot/handled one of these.. They seem like a good deal to me. They appear to be just a higher grade of Remington and not truly a custom.. Does anyone know what brand of stock and barrel they use? What have your experiences been like? Thanks

Posts: 156 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've handled them and I think they are just a straight factory rifle that has been assembled with a bit more care...don't know who makes the stocks for them. I think you would get a better rifle and for less money by buying a regular Model 700 and sending it to one of the 'smiths who specialize in tuning rifles....someone like Hill Country Rifes who for a couple of hundred dollars will guarantee to get your factory rifle shooting factory ammo shooting well under moa.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<wolf6151>
posted
The stock on this rifle is made by McMillan and I think the barrel is made by Remington. The rifle is a nice one and I don't think that it is a true custom, simply one that is made with more attention to detail than there standard line of rifles.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Basically, they are a stainless model 700, ADL that is teflon/moly coated, and then glass bedded into a McMillan stock. They are very light, and pretty darn nice. Be forewarned that they kick like an SOB in the magnum calibers. I enjoyed the one I had, and traded it away only because it duplicated a caliber I already had.

All that being said...For the same money, you could buy an ADL and send it to a good custom smith and get the same product with much, much better fit, finish, and accuracy.

[ 08-22-2002, 20:26: Message edited by: mbundy ]

Posts: 160 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 28 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your reply's so far. I've heard from a few people that they actually kick less than a normal remington because of the stock design...But it sounds like some of you are saying that this is not true. The guy I talked to said his .300 RUM kicked less than his .300 win made by browning.. any one else? has any one shot one/owned one? Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm the guy mbundy traded his AWR off to. I like it very much. So far in the short time I've had it since May it's accounted for 3 black bears, lot's of targets, and a mess of baseball to softball sized rocks that are now gravel. This particular rifle is chamber for the 300 Win Mag. I've also shot an AWR chamber for the 300RUM. mbundy is correct that they do kick, but I've been kicked worse. In fact all the synthetic standard factory grade Remington magnum rifles kick worse. Accuracy has been good so far and the finish on the AWR metal parts is much better than the standard ADL or BDL finish. The fact it's bedded in a McMillan stock speaks for it's self and I'll not be changing that. Is it worth $1500.00, that's a pretty tough call, but considerig all that's been done to it I'd say it's worth at least $1000.00. I have no plans to part with this one soon. Sorry mbundy you can't have her back...well unless you want to swap her for that Sako...grin.

Posts: 210 | Location: Montana | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bigsky, that's exactly what I needed. Good shooting and hunting [Smile]

<Big Stick>
posted
I have several of those McMillan AWR stocks and have built rifles upon them,up to and including the 375H&H Ackley Improved. Big Sky shot that rifle(375H&H AI) and could attest to it's "soft" shooting nature.

I find the AWR a nice design,that lends itself well to felt recoil absorption.

My advice would be to build a Rem 700 based rifle,in the chambering you crave,utilize a high end S/S barrel and tuck it inside a McMillan stock of your preference. You'll have a rifle superior to the Factory offering,at a like price.

Should you crave an AWR stock pattern,I could sell or swap you one,as I stocked up on them(literally).................