Find
Notify
Tools

Blind Magazine vs. Latched Floorplate?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted
I've always preferred a latched floorplate though I've had several ADL M700's. I honestly can't say I ever found the blind magazine a problem though. Obviously one of the benefit's of a floorplate is the ability to clear the magazine without having to cycle the bolt to clear the mag. The only advantage of a blind magazine that I can see is as a weight saving's... the M70 floorplate is around 3 oz's. I suppose a blind magazine is preferred in a bench gun for more rigidity but I can't see this would be an aid in a hunting rife. I suppose a blid magazine is also more simple, whereas a floorplate can open accidentally... maybe.

What do you prefer?

BA

<Big Stick>
posted
No secret that I am of the blind magazine establishment.

Simplicity suits me.................

one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted Hide Post
It all comes down to personal preference. I can definatly see the need of a latched mag if you happen to get dirt or junk inside of the magazine box while in the bush. However I have a couple rifles with blind box mags and I really like em for hunting here in the states. However if I went to Africa I would have a latch mag rifle. Here is one of mine that I take Elk Hunting.

-

Posts: 448 | Location: Lino Lakes, MN | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Stick, no surprise there!

Alvin, what's that pretty rifle chambered for?

BA

one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted Hide Post
I have a rem 700 ADL and I can get my self to like the blind magasine. Having to cycel the bolt every time I unload is a pain in the ass.

I would really like a lose magasine. Like SAKO or Tikka have.

Johan

Posts: 1082 | Location: Middle-Norway (Veterinary student in Budapest) | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sort of relates to a topic I posted here earlier. I have a Rem 722 that had a blind trigger guard/floor plate - old stamped variety - pure ugly. I also did not like cycling the action to remove the rounds from the magazine at the end of the day - it also scarred up the bullets after going up the feed ramp - picky - but anyone at this site is. replaced it with a trigger guard hinged magazine for a 700 short action - fit right in. As far as accuracy goes the 722 is a 25-284 that will 1/2" them all day long. I also have a 338 Ruger 77 MkI with detachable magazine in 338 that also will shoot 5/8" with three shots. Granted the factory trigger guard hinged floor plate on stock Rem and Rugers is sort of cheap (aluminum casting) but you can by steel replacements for each if you desire - they are pricey though.

Oh yea what caliber is that good looking rifle you take elk hunting?

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
I have one 25-284 in ADL/blind magazine configuration,it is based upon a Rem 600 and is tucked in a McMillan Remington Mountain Rifle stock.

My other 25-284 is on a short action 700 BDL and is in a McMillan Remington Classic patterned stock.

My favorite of all my rifles,is the 600 based 25-284. It is an amazingly accurate little rifle and I very much like that chambering............

<JBelk>
posted
A push feed action should ALWAYS have a way to dump the rounds out the bottom OR have a three position safety to lock the firing pin during that brief instant the bolt is closed on a live round.

Controlled round actions can be safely unloaded without a floorplate.....the bolt never has to close.

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I don't like blind magazines, nor do I really like detachable mags on a bolt rifle. One more thing to lose. On a military rifle is another matter...

When you have a jam (and I know that it never happens, but if it does [Wink] ) you can just dump the ammo and reload, without having to pull out your screwdriver!

I'm all for light rifles, but this is not the place to save an ounce or two.

I don't shoot benchrest so I'm talking strictly hunting rifles.

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Gatehouse is right. When those impossible jams happen, the only way to quickly correct it is to open the floorplate.

Unloading a rifle by opening the floor plate dumps all the cartridges all over the place, which I don't think is its primary use. Much simpler to cycle the bolt.

Posts: 19334 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will not own a blind magazine.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBelk:
A push feed action should ALWAYS have a way to dump the rounds out the bottom OR have a three position safety to lock the firing pin during that brief instant the bolt is closed on a live round.

Controlled round actions can be safely unloaded without a floorplate.....the bolt never has to close.

Mr Belk,
Whoever said the bolt has to be closed on a live round when unloading a cartridge from a push feed blind magazine? One simply short-strokes each cartridge out of the magazine when unloading while keeping the muzzle pointed up. The bolt never has to be closed. The Remington blind magazine(ADL) is advocated by many "in the know 'smiths and hunters." Your post on this subject reflects your well known anti-Remington attitude. [Roll Eyes] Remember, not everyone wants to shoot a heavy clunker mauser or softie eddystone. [Wink]

The pluses of the ADL are :
1 A stiffer stock due to less material being removed from the underside for the floorplate.
Stiffness = Accuracy
However in all fairness this does not mean you cannot build an accurate rifle using a floorplate. Its just one less variable.

2 More consistent bedding torque. The front action screw will torque more consistently when it does not have to secure a floorplate at the same time. This has been proven in the benchrest circles many times.

Darrell Holland, an excellent riflebuilder out of Oregon has built many, many custom ADL(blind magazine) configuration hunting rifles over the years. I grew up hunting with hinged floorplate rifles and was a bit reluctant to hunt with an ADL style rifle. After hunting with one I found you get used to em. Its not a big deal! I will add that on a DGR I would prefer(make that insist) a hinged floorplate. I would make sure it was reliable and not prone to accidental opening. If not right, a hinged floorplate can get you in trouble just as well. My thoughts, MtnHtr

[ 08-13-2002, 07:29: Message edited by: MtnHtr ]

Posts: 254 | Location: USA | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
<HBH>
posted
Brad,

I like mine with bottom metal. I can have all kind of fun with it. I'd like to see the likes of Burgess (Spelling?) but I think it requires the taking of a hostage. I have got to see Fisher's and it is interesting. I'm just about to go off the deep end for metal work, pay me no mind.

Many Thanks

HBH

one of us
posted Hide Post
Globs of snow , twigs , pine needles , moisture , peices of leaves , mud , any of this crap can find a way to get into the magazine . Or cold stiff fingers may get a catridge cockeyed .

All of those problems are easily cleared from a rifle with a floorplate . Seems pretty obvious to me which style is better on a big game weapon .

Any slight gain in accuracy or stiffness is a poor tradeoff in my view .........

[ 08-13-2002, 19:11: Message edited by: sdgunslinger ]

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Johan

A few years ago there was a company that built a replacement trigger guard with a clip for Remington 700s. I bought one and put it on a .270 Rem 720 ADL. It required nerve to cut into the bottom of the stock but by the time I was done it works and looks perfect.

It is called a QuickClip. I don't know if they are still around or if you could get one over there, but if that worked maybe you could get a BDL bottom plate and put it in.

As an aside that rifle is the smoothest feeding rifle, other than my Mannlicher, that I have. It stacks the cases vertically and not zigzagged.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with MtnHtr that a blind magazine can, and should, be unloaded without fully chambering the cartridges. Even in circumstances when the muzzle cannot be pointed upward (a tight blind or inside an automobile during a sudden rainstorm), the cartridge can be partially chambered and the bolt turned about half way down to engage the extractor without allowing the firing mechanism to be activated. While I don't think that a 3-position safety is absolutely necessary with a blind magazine, my comments in no way endorse the near-criminal refusal of Remington to fix its defectively manufactured safety (or to offer to fix it, while denying anything is wrong with it and discourging people from getting the fix by charging them for it)!

Each type magazine has its advantages and disadvantages. The disadvantages of either are much less than it's respective detractors would have you believe.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

To my mind. If a gun hasn't got a hinged floorplate and is a repeater It's only a half rifle [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I hate ADL rifles the magazine is PIA to empty and all kinds of crap from the woods finds it's way down there [Mad]
I don't like detachable mags either the always get lost or starts to jam [Eek!]

Cheers
/ JOHAN