Find
Notify
Tools

Breaking loose loctite
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
Bought a Remington 700 Yesterday and I want to get the 1 piece leupold mounts off and put the 2 piece ones on. Come to find out the person who put the mounts on loctite'd it! Is there any solvent or tricks to breaking it loose without having to drill it out?

Thanks

Justin

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3325 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try using a heat gun or a hair dryer.
Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kroil also will help ; Apply let set for an hour use heat gun or hair dryer as PJ suggested and out they come .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
use a soldering iron to head up the head of the screw.... works good for me..

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2833 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Time is precious around here so I use a torx bit with a magnetic handle and a hammer to remove them. Now and then I have to use a little heat so I use a propane torch. It's much quicker than a hair drier. When these methods fail, and sometimes they do, I have to use a milling machine. But the torx bit and hammer is my first choice.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had really good luck with using a screwdriver. I heat the shank above the screw while attempt to turn it once it moves it comes right out. It lets the heat travel down the shaft so I don't have to over heat the ring/base or what ever. Has worked every time for me even with red locktite
I keep a couple of screwdrivers for that purpose.
Thats just my 2 cents worth coffee

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
Bought a Remington 700 Yesterday and I want to get the 1 piece leupold mounts off and put the 2 piece ones on. Come to find out the person who put the mounts on loctite'd it! Is there any solvent or tricks to breaking it loose without having to drill it out?
Thanks

Use a butane pencil torch (with a smal and sharped flame) focus the flame on the screw head and wait abot 1 minute, you will see that the loctite will flow, makes bubles or make smoke, then use the screwdriver or the rigth tool (torx or allen wrench), dont try without heat, you can ruin the screws torx/allen cavity or cut the screw itself.Good Luck!!!

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Almost all grades of Loctite melt at about 400°F.
The hot screw driver shank is a good trick but I usually use a soldering iron.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolland:
I have had really good luck with using a screwdriver. I heat the shank above the screw while attempt to turn it once it moves it comes right out. It lets the heat travel down the shaft so I don't have to over heat the ring/base or what ever. Has worked every time for me even with red locktite
I keep a couple of screwdrivers for that purpose.
Thats just my 2 cents worth coffee

Even on a leupold mount that uses Torx? It looks like the back one is a lil rounded off and the Torx isn't doing so well so I may have to try a Screw Driver

Posts: 3325 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
quote:
use a soldering iron to head up the head of the screw

I'll second that.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help guys! A Heat gun and a 1 size larger Torx got them out with ease

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FYI - white paper on Loctite states that RED Loctite requires 400 degree F to deactivate grip. Try using Blue or (Green for installed screws) for no vibrating or rotating parts. Red Loctite doesn't belong on firearms. Of course a properly specified and installed fastener doesn't require Loctite at all. Wink

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote