THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Is there a way to touch-up/refinish a Win. SS floorplate by hand?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there a way to touch-up/refinish a Win. SS floorplate by hand?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a SS Win. M70 short-action floorplate that look a little rough from hunting use. Is there a way to refinish it to clean-up cosmetic blemishes (not gouges) using some soft of 3M pad or sandpaper?

I want to keep a matte/satin finish on it. Can this be done by hand with satisfactory results? And, what supplies would be required to do it?

Thanks,
Mark in GA

Posts: 552 | Location: Coastal Georgia | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bring it to a gun shop or industrial shop with a sand/bead blaster. It will restore your finish to new. Remington and Winchester bead blast most of there stuff I don't know with what grit/grain, but results should be close.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sierrabravo45:
Bring it to a gun shop or industrial shop with a sand/bead blaster. It will restore your finish to new. Remington and Winchester bead blast most of there stuff I don't know with what grit/grain, but results should be close.

They use Potters brand of glass beads in an AC grit. That's what we use to match parts to their factory stuff.

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Matt,

The stainless receivers look like they are finished with a finer glass bead than AC. Or, is that because the action is harder than the rest of the parts?

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote