Find
Notify
Tools

Questions about 1886 Winchester
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted
Ok I cleaned and checked it and just stepped out in the back yard to test fire.

Has this hammer been modified/broken?? It does not have a half-cock notch.

The hammer spur has been broken which could explain only one hammer position . . . heck in 1897 maybe they figured ya only needed to fire the thing once it was loaded!

Ok now, anyone got a source of the following:

Disassembly instructions (or reassembly since that is so MUCH more important)

a replacement hammer or a full scale drawing of the hammer so I can weld a spur on it to take it back to original shape?

Light load with RCBS 325 grain CGC (35 grains of 3031) went thru 10" soft (prickly) ash tree like it wasn't there.

Gonna be good for day of wandering in the woods methinks! [Wink]

LouisB

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
is it a new japanese 86 or an old american 86 . I have both the new ones with the tang safety do not have a half cock. AA 5744 powder and a bullet from 350 to 500 gr will do 1150 + or - fps out of a 24" barrel. rember powder position does matter.

Posts: 280 | Location: SARASOTA , FL. | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
It is a real 86 made in 1897. so I kinda expected half-cock, but this model could predate half-cock. Could be a modification done on purpose like I have seen done to Remington rolling block and Enfield muskets to reduce "lock time".
I have pretty good luck with my 3031 (really a powder that performs like 3031 and NO longer available) loads in Remington rolling block (original action also) and TC Contender, though I have some work to do to be ready for season this year with the TC and 1886.

Heck looking at the limited supply of all my cast 45-70 bullets I had better run some ball soon! [Frown]
LouisB

<JBelk>
posted
TCLouis---

That gun was probably dropped on something solid while on half cock. The fall broke the half cock.. the recoil broke the spur.

Check Jack First Dist. in Prescott AZ for a new hammer.

I hope nothing but underwear and an ear drum was hurt from the accident.

one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
I agree, the half cock notch on the hammer is broken. I broke one once on my original 1886. I'm not sure how it happened, it just did. Had to get a replacement hammer.
Just for referance, I am fairly positive, your gun, if it was made when you say, does not have high strength barrel steels. Stay with the loads recommended for the 1886, and don't try to push higher (you still have a lot of power). It is still a very strong design.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
It does NOT catch in the least fully back and is very positive in what I would think is the half-cock position. This makes me think it could have been done on purpose.
Heck, a screwdriver and a few minutes and I can check! I guess I can see the hammer with the stock off.

John Y Cannuck said . . ."Just for referance, I am fairly positive, your gun, if it was made when you say, does not have high strength barrel steels. Stay with the loads recommended for the 1886, and don't try to push higher (you still have a lot of power)."

I plan to stick to 1873 loads . . . nothing around here can/will stop a 325 or 340 cast bullet at 1400-1450 fps and long shots are not very likely so bullet path will be flat enough.
In fact I would not hesitate to go west for elk with the loads if I can get the gun to fire them.
Truly handloaded last nights shot . . . grabbed a primed case dumped in the powder, shoved bullet in and seated pressing against the bench and then test fired (NOT A RECOMMENDED TECHNIQUE, BUT . . .)
This gun is gonna be fun

[ 10-05-2002, 04:03: Message edited by: TCLouis ]

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I was going thru my list of favorite sites and found the answer to my own question. Here is a site with lots of "blow-up" drawings of firearms.
Steve has WONDERFUL information on his web site for other things also!
[Smile]
LouisB

Steve's gun drawings page

[ 10-05-2002, 06:06: Message edited by: TCLouis ]