THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are tang safeties coming soon on Marlin levers?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted
I'm wondering if Marlin is going to rid themselves of that awful crossbolt safety, and go with a tang safety like the new Winchesters have.

Anyone know the scoop?

Thanks,
RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen or read anything about the new Winchester safety. Sounds really interesting.

If you have the time, could you post a picture and give a little description of its internal workings?

Thanks a bunch,

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If that happens how would a person put a tang sight on it? derF

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
"A person" could simply install a Williams or Lyman receiver sight, instead. The receiver is already drilled and tapped for it, anyway.

So there's 1.5" less eye relief than with a tang sight...not a big deal.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I'm not really a lever gun guy so correct me if I'm wrong...

But isn't the "safety" on a lever rifle supposed to be the half cock? Why would you want to use a safety at all?

They have been used for years safely without them...

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Gatehouse, you are 100% correct!! The reason for safeties on LA rifles, in addition to the safety notch on the hammer, is the Trial Lawyers Association! Today, it is not required for a person to learn how to safely handle a firearm. He/she can do anything they want, including shooting themselves in the foot, and it is the gunmakers fault!! Just hire a lawyer!! [Eek!]