Find
Notify
Tools

Best Rimmed cartridges & actions?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
For some odd reason, I've always wanted a SxS double rifle in 7.62x54R. I definitely like the cartridge, but am not so sure about how well its full-load pressure matches up with the break action.

I'd vote for a repro (or a good original) of a Martini-Henry in 577/450. That would be a real classic.

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the_captain:
For some odd reason, I've always wanted a SxS double rifle in 7.62x54R.

Just write to Izhmash (iitc@udm.ru) that they should chamber their M. 221 side-by-side for this cartridge.

Carcano

--
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither."

"Is the world less safe now than before you declared your Holy war? You bet!"
(DUK asking Americans, 14th June 2004)

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
If you folks were gonna build two such rifles, one of .25 to .35 calibre, and the other with a bore somewhat bigger than .35, which currently availble action(s) would you use, and for which RIMMED cartridges would you chamber them?

Object of both rifles is FUN, pure & simple. As such, they need to work reliably, shoot with at least hunting accuracy (whatever that may be to you) and be comfortable(not just "bearable") to shoot at least 50 rounds per day.

Definitely one in 8x65 RS, a brilliantly harmonious cartridge. Lutz Lorberg has rechambered a break-top rifle for this cartridge... it's somewhere on the web. Ideal action would be an original Jägerverschluß, but these are worth their weight in platinum. :-(

And then... hmm, maybe a 9,3x53R. Don't know about comfort though. Or a fine, elegant, ultra-accurate 8,15x46R.

Carcano

--

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I'd send a Dakota Model 10 to Steven Dodd Hughes and ask him to chamber it in 7x65R, and use his magic underlever that fills in the unsightly gap between the lever and the trigger guard.

Then, I'd ask him to chamber a Martini-Hagn in 9.3x74R.

Nice SS battery, I think.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Carcano 91,

Thanks for the superb hint.Thisis one fantastic website!

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mehulkamdar:
Carcano 91,

Thanks for the superb hint.Thisis one fantastic website!

I have tried to erespond to this post several times. Each time, part way through my typing, an MSN ad has popped up. destroying my response. I will try typing it elsewhere and pasting it here.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The web-site Carcano posted IS nice. Almost brought me to tears though, as memories came flooding back when I saw the engraving. Once, in my middle years, I had a beautiful .470 NE SxS Simson (Suhl) double rifle, built in 1930, with 100% coverage of the action in similar deep relief engraving. It had two elephant in a stand of Mopane on the left side of the action, and a tiger drinking at a brook on the right side.

I sold the rifle just prior to my move to the the 'States, to a friend who owned a gun store in Edmonton, Alberta. He, in turn, sold it to a fellow who lived in Drayton Valley, Alberta. That person, having much better sense than I apparently had, sent it back to Suhl and had a pair of shotgun barrels also fitted.

The engraving was just fabulous, especially the detail. Looking at the tiger under a glass, you could even make out the teeth which would have been visible as the real animal lapped water, all in proper proportion.

I miss that rifle more than any other I ever owned. Now I wish I had four legs and feet, the better to kick myself for having sold it.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carcano91:

Definitely one in 8x65 RS, a brilliantly harmonious cartridge. Lutz Lorberg has rechambered a break-top rifle for this cartridge... it's somewhere on the web. Ideal action would be an original Jägerverschluß, but these are worth their weight in platinum. :-(

Carcano

Carcano -

I thought I was familiar with almost all the metric cartridges one would ever encounter, from over the last hundred years or so, but I see that is not correct. I had never even heard of the 8 x 65RS until I saw the references here.

Can you tell me more about it...available factory ammo, bullet weights, velocities, game for which intended, etc.? Is it basically built on the 7x65 case using the .323 (S) bullet?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mehulkamdar:
Carcano 91,
Thanks for the superb hint.This is one fantastic website!

You are welcome. Lutz is a good guy and decent craftsman. My bread-n-butter gunsmith...
:-)
Carcano

--