Find
Notify
Tools

Richards Microfit VS. Elk Ridge
 Login/Join

<JoeM>
posted
Hello
I am considering getting my first semi-inlet stock. I have done woodwork before, and I am a patient person, so I think I can figure this out.

Anyhoo, I am only interested in the laminated thumbhole (not combination) style. I went to the webpages of both. Prices are comparable, except Richards is having a sale right now. And it does seem that both are using the same blank and stock style?

Also, for you experienced guys. Thinking about the Ebony upgrade. Versus the Rosewood. Is there anything special about either of these woods I should note when I start finishing? FYI, whiteline spacers installed.

One last thing. Finger grooves. Ever put them in? Neither brand comes with.

Neither of these places seems to have stuff on the shelf, so I want to get the order rolling Monday, and let the waiting begin. [Frown]

PS Now for the future. Has anybody ever used any of the futuristic looking Wildcat designs? I would think such a thing would be very weak, but I have been wrong before.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I ordered one 1 year a go and it only took two weeks. Go with the ebony forget the spacers, ask if they have the one you want in stock on the rack, sometimes they do. Go with english if your going walnut.

I went witha richard's dual grip in claro for a swede finished in pro custom oil from brownell's, looks very nice. Don't forget to bed the action and floorplate.

Go ahead and have them install studs and pad if needed, cheaper in the long run.

RJS
What are you putting in it.

Posts: 210 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 03 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think most all of the laminated stocks on the market come from the same place originally, that is, Rutland Corp. (in VT I think - a plywood / laminate manufacturer). This would include the laminated stocks of David Miller.

I have also heard that the Elk Ridge and Richard's stocks are from the same basic patterns, but can't vouch for this as I've never ordered Elk Ridge. I will suggest that you NOT order "oversized" inletting, as the plain old inletting is generous enough.

I also agree, lose the spacers. That would just look odd on a laminate stock w/ dark forend tip. With regard to the finishing idiosyncracies of ebony vs. rosewood -- ebony will check like crazy on any exposed end grain, in a very short time. Keep it covered with a sealing finish in between work sessions, and once you get it shaped and smoothed to final form, immediately get a final sealing finish on it. This is true of many of these dense, resinous tropical trees*, with the exception of rosewood. All the rosewood I have ever seen is pretty resistant to drying checks. ALTHOUGH, the last stock I got from Richard's, with a "rosewood" tip, actually appeared to have a tulipwood tip.

*I recently had the joy of using snakewood, a dark red/brown wood with serpiginous black grain streaks (hence the name) as a forend block -- on the (10 min) way home from the woodstore, where it was cut from a long 3"x3" piece, my chunk developed innumerable small to moderate sized checks from fast drying. Fortunately, it was long enough to trim and dip in latex paint immediately. I finished it with superglue.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Having built stocks from blanks and from semi-inletted I will not order any more semi-inletted stocks. It is more work to make those semi-done things fit properly than it is to begin from a blank--that's my opinion, FWIW. That being said....the very worst semi-inletted stock I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with was from Elk Ridge. It was very sloppily done and took 6 weeks to get after the order was placed. I haven't dealt with Richards Microfit so I'll let others comment on that. Whichever way you wind up ordering, you'll always remember your first effort--and you'll be able to see all the mistakes even if others don't notice them, BUT you'll likely have a blast doing it! I wish you well. [Smile]
Good Hunting,
Andy

[ 06-22-2002, 01:44: Message edited by: ACRecurve ]

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
Can someone fill me in on the qualities of the various types of wood? I understand the grades, but I want to know the basics if the material.

I'd like a very strong, dense stock that can stand some abuse. Figure and character is secondary. What type of wood should I get?

Don

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Don,
let's look at the real options
lams-- look okay, but, well, they aint about looks
bastogne... light color (the recent stuff) and can take a beating
english walnut, medium grades
will look nice and take a beating.. but, remember, crossbolts if you are really going to make a whomperstomper.

On richard's and elk ridge, I've dealt with both... and the simple fact is I beat you could (not that anyone would)order one from both, switch boxes, and send them back.

The lams are not GREAT, even though i've got a couple in the safe, and both work well. The colors on the websites are only guidelines.. i've only seen the "rosewood" (guy wanted PINK gun) looked like the website... heh.. exactly like the website.. I like the black/grey.. but it comes green/grey, just like the browning stock

Be careful of barrel/action alignment in the stock, as I've had a couple come in WAY out of alignment.

cheers
jeffe

Posts: 39691 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote