Find
Notify
Tools

Rebore a 7x61 S&H?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted
I have my eye on a nice Schultz & Larsen original in 7x61 S&S.

Apart from the question of whether to keep it original or make it a very functional and less expensive rifle to shoot for a non reloader like myself---

Can it be rechamber into 7mmMag without rebore of the barrel?

Am I asking the correct question(s)? Any other issues?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a re-bore would cost may very well make the rifle worth less than what you paid for it plus cost of said re-bore!

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
E-F

Thanks for taking the time to respond

Yes you may be right- its available for $495 US and an especially nice handling rifle, I would like it in 7mmMag for reasons stated..we'll see

Best price I can find for 20 rounds of 7x61 is $60 for 20, figure 200 rounds to get some use out of it, and that is $1200. 200 rounds of 7mmMag..about $350 with careful shopping, so the numbers are driving the analysis.

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check your math - 10 boxes would be $600 - not $1,200

For the $250 savings on ammo - I don't know if it would be cost effective to rebore or rechamber

Posts: 156 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I rechambered quite a few Schultz&Larsen 7x61's to &mm Remmag. It worked fine but the twist was too slow to shoot 175 grain spitzers. Everything up to 160 was OK just like in the 7x61. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Bill is correct, I have done the same with a Schultz and Larsen 7x61 having it chambered to 7mm Rem Mag. You don't say what model the S&L is. If it is a M60 (cocks on closing) it has a 1:12 twist which will only stabilise up to 160gr projectiles. The later M65 and M68 (cock on opening Mauser style) have a 1:10 twist which will handle heavier than 160gr.
Beautiful rifles though and a 160gr Sierra was my favourite in the 7x61 at 3000fps MV which you should be able to duplicate in the 7mmRM.

Posts: 3914 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the replies. I don't know the model but will check next time I handle it- it is still in the shop.

Great contour and feel, has a tang safety, which is neat, nice wood.... I'll post pics if I pick it up...

Josie Wales 1866