New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning Serial Number
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for some help to identify year of manufacture and model number... Browning FN Action, 30-06, 22" Barrel, extremely fancy fiddleback walnut and hand checkering, Belgium made.....serial number 4L24298....PS..."not salt wood".

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
4L24298 fits right in the middle of 1964, approximate total made that year was 5,238. Should be a safari grade (4L) with fairly simple vine and leaf type engraving only on the floorplate, list price was $185.00. Salt wood was not a problem on Brownings until 1967 so you are safe there. The lightest barrel listed for an '06 is the 22" medium weight. There are several known examples of Safari grades shipped with Medallion grade wood either as a special order or just to get a delivery out on time so sounds like you got lucky. Keep in mind even on the Safari grade you could order it just about any way you wanted it.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response: appreciate getting quick and percise info that confirms my general assessment.....I'm always impressed by the knowledge base out there! Just finished guaging chamber and giving her a light cleaning...looks like less than a box of shells fired in this rifle. I am very impressed with the fit and finish on the rifle.....action is soooooo smooth....If I get a chance I will post a couple of pic's on the weekend.