New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re-shaping M77 Stock?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Rather than buy an aftermarket stock, I am contemplating the reworking of the walnut stock on my M77 7mag. The current forarm dimensions are too wide for my liking, and using calipers I measured the dimensions of another M77 I own which fits me a lot better. In fact, checking some new Rugers on the shelf in 7mag revealed a much thinner profile than the one I am contemplating.
I will obviously be removing the existing checkering as I thin down the stock and will probably have a professional recreate the stock Ruger checkering pattern.
My question is how to remove the remainder of the finish on the rifle, and what is a good finish to reapply?
Also, can anyone recommend a good stockmaker who would redo the checkering?
Any suggestions for a replacement for the red rubber recoil pad?
Thanks

Posts: 392 | Location: Western Massachusetts | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not put wrap-around checkering on it like Ruger SHOULD have done?

Posts: 431 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Western,
I use paint stripper to remove the finish from modern guns.

There's as many opinions on stock finishes as there are stocks...but here's my standard:

1st coat(s) are thin to soak in: 1/3 Tru-Oil + 2/3 Naptha

Wet Sand with pure Tru Oil

Working coats: 1/3 Tru Oil + 1/3 Naptha + 1/3 linseed oil

Top coat depends on how glossy you like the stock: pure T-O for glossy, pure linseed for less gloss, or mix as desired.

I'm sure others will post their concoctions and opinions.

Brownells has a Pachymar Decelerator Old English pad in red. Also they have some other older style red pads which are pretty hard.

Posts: 238 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 February 2006Reply With Quote