New
Find
Notify
Tools

Revolver chamber demensions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Got a question about .357 revolver chamber dimensions.
As we know, the end of the chambers, or throats should measure something close to caliber (bullet) dimension to create a gas seal as the bullets exits the cylinder and enters the barrel.

As a youngster just starting to shoot cast bullets in handguns, I learned from a gunsmith friend that the ‘tighter’ the fit in the chamber throat the better. The reason being the more gas that is sealed behind the bullet, the less gas blows by causing the outside of the bullet to melt, causing barrel leading.

I noticed over the years that different makes of revolvers seem to vary in throat dimension, some being rather ‘tight’ and some rather ‘generous’. I remember a Blackhawk .357 I had years ago that was most generous in this regard and I could really load it up warm and it leaded badly. Even a .359†bullet passed through the throat easily.

So, can anyone tell me what the present consensus is with .357 revolvers in this regard? Which maker does well and which does not.. I’m looking into buying a new double action revolver with a 6†barrel.

Thanks

Why do they call it common sense, when it is so uncommon??

Posts: 277 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 10 October 2004Reply With Quote