New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blueing
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was wondering if anyone had good results with some of the cold blues? One I looked at" Van's Instant Gun Blue". I was really wanting some thing for my own use that was a little safer to use. [Smile]

Posts: 132 | Location: Ky | Registered: 21 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cold blues are just for touch up IMO...you might learn to rust blue, its safe and is the best rifle finish in the world...doesn't take much equipment, just a heat/humidity controlled box.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
875x... I dont know of ANY good cold blues, including oxypho blue from brownells, and suspect I have tried almost all of them. I guess if you wanted to touch up (sights and what not) like Ray suggested... you might use a cold blue. Just wear your rifle down to the bone, then have someone reblue it.
Just a side note... For the last year I have been learning how to rust blue, the application is simple the equipment list is small, the learning curve is HUGE. Or part of that is I am just an airhead [Big Grin] . There are quite a bit of people here that have more experiance, maybe they will respond.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum, 875x

Cold blueing was never meant to last...

I did a cold blueing job on grip straps of a handgun, wore it out within a week of constant handling.

I am planning to build a moisture cabin and go for the slow rust method as well.

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
875x---

I emailed you a zip files of previous post concening rust blue.........or my answers to the post, anyhow. [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just started to play around with a cold blue "Blue Wonder" from brownells. So far it looks like it could ber alright. At least it is blue not black, and does seems to create a strong surface.
Regular rust bluing will require a tank which may be made up from galvanized sheet steel (de oiled). Do yourself a favor and start with distilled water ( many of my grey hairs cme from west coast tap water and Herters blue).
Good luck1

Posts: 217 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
The only little trick I know with the cold blues is to warm the barrel and scrub whatever blue you are using into the degreased barrel using an old toothbrush, it at least gives you an even finish and helps it blend in.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote