One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
Doesn't look like a savage or a Mannlicher? Any ideas..thanks

stamped RO

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ruger American CF Rifle or a Steyr SSG69 perhaps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2152hq:
Ruger American CF Rifle or a Steyr SSG69 perhaps.

Not even close to an RAR CF.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Considering who I got it from, I'd say it's at least 60 years old.

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
I'd bet a box of beer that it's a follower for a Steyr Mannlicher Schoenauer sporting rifle. Caliber? You got me. 6.5, 7mm or 8mm x Gwerschmotten Gwerbotton maybe?

Not to be confused with the Greek 1903. That one had grooves all the way down the stem.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
Considering who I got it from, I'd say it's at least 60 years old.

Old, old,,,,I was guessing new mfg.

Old stuff, might be from a Belgian Schulhof. Late 1880s/early 1890s.
Once considered for US adoption. A bolt action rifle it had a 8 (9?) shot rotary mag.

Henri Pieper of Belgium made a bolt rifle for Belgian Military rifle trials n the late 1880s. 8mm,,It had a rotary magazine also of the Schulhof type. Didn't make the cut and only a few rifles made.

Steyr was still using the 5 in=line packet loading en-bloc clip at that time. Not a Schoenauer style rotor from a Steyr or any of the old classic Models
Not from a Blake rifle.

I'm out of guesses!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
Doesn't look like a savage or a Mannlicher? Any ideas..thanks

stamped RO

Not so much familiar? Except looking at the wrong side? Where's my beer?

steyr-4382-magazine by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

Where's my beer?

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rod. I have a 1903 Greek I thought was different.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, the Greek is different. There are full flutes running down the shaft of the Greek for each cartridge. Your unknown carousel is for the sporting rifles. Follower, we call em carousels here in the GWN. Dunno why we call em that. Some of the old peckerheads call em trees. But they aren't followers!

This is a 1903 Greek carousel:

1903 Greek Carousel by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Excellent work sir!

The (old) Mannlicher collectors' assn and the person who used to sell parts called that the "spindle". Each caliber was unique and hence it was hard job to rebarrel the rifle to different caliber unless one replaced or modified the spindle.

The spindle is also specific to RN bullets in my experience.

My 9.5X57 MS handles RN bullets well but gets fussy with the Sierra GK 270 gr bullets which are SP.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11208 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
RN, yep, the greek 6.5x54 will not feed spire points. The nose hits the feed ramp and pushes the round out of the mag. The SP will get pinched at the shoulder in the mag.