New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunsmithing Summer Courses
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been asked to remind everyone about the many summer Gunsmithing courses available throughout the USA. As most of us know, the NRA sponser various gunsmithing courses around this great land of ours. I have the honor of being asked to teach at Murray State June 2-6, 2014. I will be teaching Refinishing and Repair of gunstocks. It will involve hands on work and class participation in all aspects of the course.

It is also my privilege to announce a brand new endeavor called: Master Craftsman Series to be offered at Iowa Valley Community College. There will be two classes. One taught by Steven Milton of Toronto,Ontario,Canada. Steven is a gifted craftsman. He is a Freeman of the Worshipful Company of Gunmakers in London, England. He is also the newest member of the American Custom Gunmakers Guild. He is one of the rarest of people...able to do all aspects of the gunmakers craft well. His reason for becoming an ACGG member was:"To share my trade knowledge with others". Which just happens to be one of the main reasons the ACGG was started...to pass on the skills of Custom gunmaking so it would not disappear. (Course ID: IND 9050(1).)

I have been asked to teach in the second section of the course about Stock Repair and Finishing.
I bring 32 years of fixing/repairing/finishing gunstocks for all shooting disciplines. It has been invaluable for me in the learning of building Custom Gunstocks for clients. As a member of the American Custom Gunmakers Guild in the category of Stockmaker, it is my honor and duty to pass on that which I have learned.(Course ID: IND 9050(2)

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How are you doing guy? Sent you some PM's after your surgery. You up to speed?

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I am up to speed. Thank you for asking. I now have to pace myself however. I am no longer able to safely( read physically able due to the muscle cutting in my chest) work 12-16 hours a day. After 24 years of being active that much it has been hard to slow down. But in order to keep the quality up and the customer satisfaction high...I must. I am doing well and getting back to a spot I am comfortable accepting new work. I still am behind...but getting closer to the goal of being even.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was contacted today by Murray State in Tishmingo, OK. Classes will close on May 1, 2014. Get your reservations in for NRA classes.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dennis, when will you be getting to Oklahoma? Would like to get together. Have dinner. When is the course at Murray state?

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who are the Gunsmithing instructors there now? Back in the early 80"s I had Chuck Bricker and Joe Craig.

Relive your memories take a kid hunting and fishing

Posts: 152 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 28 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will NOT be there if the class is cancelled due to lack of interest. I was just told unless people start signing up for the class...registration closes May 1....there will be no class. Need 6 more people to hold the class as of Tuesday last. Class is scheduled to be held on June 2-6,2014.

Jon Bohner and Chad ???? are the current instructors IF I remember correctly.

If the class is held, I would be honored to meet you and talk to you Ib404.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC