THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Odd scratch or cut on Brass /Remington Bolt Rifle any Ideas ?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Odd scratch or cut on Brass /Remington Bolt Rifle any Ideas ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

First off I don't own the Rifle and have never seen it don't know what model or anything else about it .

Anyway I got all their once fired 7 mm Rem Mag brass . While I was cleaning it and prepping I noticed

several had an ODD scratch , more of a significant cut than a simple scratch .

Now there were hundreds of pieces of brass and the other fellows Rifle is a Winchester and those cases

showed nothing out of the ordinary . Boxes had each party's name on them ,so that's how I came to know

it was the Remington Rifle that made the cut . Also the other guy shot different brands and no marks on them .
Anyone have any Ideas as to what may have caused that slicing cut ?. It's a Bolt Gun .

I figured I'd post here because the Smiths would be better equipped to answer this one .

I don't have a Clue !.

I would ask the owner however I believe I'd be wasting both of our time . He was under the impression that

since he purchased this Remington 7 mm Rem Mag , it would only function with Remington ammo ! WTF ???.

I assured him it would digest whatever brand factory 7 mm Rem Mag ammo . I asked , he said he was told

if you own a Remington shoot Remington ammo and if you owned a Winchester shoot Winchester ammo !.

He couldn't remember who told him !??.

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
My first instinct would be to guess a burr on a lip of the magazine but realize it could be caused by something totally unrelated such as carrying the ammo in a peculiar holder.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
If the mark is only on a few, I wouldn't worry about it. It could be the result of something foreign laying between the case and the chamber wall, or, it could have happened during feeding. It's hard to tell by the photo.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would load the magazine full and shoot the full load from a field position and then check the cases.I had something similar happen and I couldn't figure it out.Two of the four empty cases would show a cut or dent just below the neck and only when the shooting was offhand.I found the problem a couple of weeks later.It was the front edge of the magazine box,that was not flush with the part of of the action just below the feeding ramp.I undid the guard screws and set the box in its proper place and it solved the problem.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like that mark was made during extraction or at least on the way out. Once and awhile a case may be hitting the front of the mag-lip on its way out.

James

Posts: 130 | Location: Floresville,TX. | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks to be a portion of a spiral and my guess would be that it occurs after the case has been fired, expanded against the chamber wall and rotates against a burr in the chamber during the bolt lift. On my monitor, it looks deeper on the end closest to the case head, and tapers to nearly nothing as the case is rotated and withdrawn slightly. That would occur if the picture inverted left for right, or was this by chance a left handed rifle?? The case would not be cut on case entry to the chamber as it is smaller before it is fired. The burr does not cut the case on withdrawal after it is back a fraction and is loose. To me this suggests the brass is cut by a small sharp chamber burr.

A sharp edge on the front of the magazine should cause a linear scrape on the case. A burr on the magazine sidewall could scrape the case as it rises in the magazine, but that would not be a portion of a spiral as the case is not moving forward or back as it rises, and should be much smaller, likely only a fraction of the length of this one.

Let us know if you get a look at the chamber.

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc224/375:
I would ask the owner however I believe I'd be wasting both of our time . He was under the impression that

since he purchased this Remington 7 mm Rem Mag , it would only function with Remington ammo ! WTF ???.

I assured him it would digest whatever brand factory 7 mm Rem Mag ammo . I asked , he said he was told

if you own a Remington shoot Remington ammo and if you owned a Winchester shoot Winchester ammo !.

He couldn't remember who told him !??.

Ask him what brand of ammo will work in a Savage, Marlin, Colt, Glock, Mossberg, S&W, Mauser, etc. Than ask them what kind of firearm that Federal ammo will work in.
I've run into guys that believed the same thing, and all they did when I asked the same questions was sputter while looking like a deer in the headlights.
Kind of fun to watch those "gunshop experts" go all blank

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Happened on more than just a few cases . Rifle is Right Handed I'm positive of that as the guy who

owns it is Right handed and he bought it off another person, who I also know and he's Right Handed .

Cartridge is in Battery ,aim , fire , now empty case is being ejected via opening of the Bolt . Bolt rotates

counter clockwise extractor grabs case and twist it along with the Bolt . Upon turning it's catching

something sharp in the chamber ( a Chamber Bur ? ) . I assumed Rifle chambers were like polished and slick ?.

I'm assuming wrong ?. I would tend to agree it has to be after the cartridge is fired and don't believe

I've never seen where a cartridge catches an edge of a magazine or feed ramp that causes a slice

Perpendicular to the Axis . Along a cartridges Axis I could understand but semi helical or perhaps better

described as an Angular slice . You're viewing the case head on and the scratch is lower on the right side

of the Axis higher on the Left . So if it were being extracted with a counter clockwise bolt rotation ,

wouldn't the angle slice be in the opposite direction ?.

I'm viewing everything from the Bolt face forward for reference purposes .

I've pushed my fair share of cartridges into many a magazine and have seen nicks short scratches in a

variety of direction but never a slice that's angular in nature .

I'll try an borrow the Rifle and see if I can duplicate the slice on some newly prepped cartridges ?.

I appreciate everybody's input !. tu2

I simply want to correct this case slice as these are Factory

once fired cases and FREE . So it's to my benefit for Free cases and I don't think I will antagonize a

friend with Ammo brand gun brand babble . Especially with the price of Brass now days !!!.

I already informed him it will shoot whom ever's brand of factory 7 mm Rem Mag ammo !.

It should be quite Obviously he's a novice shooter and doesn't reload .I try an never belittle people who

want to attempt something New . Lets face it WE ALL NEED as many Shooters as we can recruit these days !. tu2

archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote