New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a great gunsmith in Oregon
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My "go to" gunsmith here in Salem is going to work for Weatherby! He'll be hard to replace. Good luck to you, Roger!

Does anyone have some good feedback on gunsmiths in Oregon or Washington. I'd be especially interested in hearing about smiths that have experience with Browning B78's and 1885 single shots. Every shooter needs to have a good gunsmith available!

Posts: 28 | Location: salem, oregon | Registered: 15 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
might look up Mark Skaggs at Skaggs Gunsmithing. he's only done one job for me, but i was pleased with the results. and there's the Beisens here in spokane....

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
is that THE Biesen's, as in Al Biesen? Thanks for the lead!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which gunsmith is going to work for Weatherby? I haven't had any work done here in Salem yet but I'll be needing one soon.

Posts: 709 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Jim Coffen of salem built a couple of beutiful Mausers for me 20 years ago. The metal work was done by Larry brace and barrel by Bob West.
Unfortunantly larry died a couple of years ago and Jim is in his mid seventys and Bob is in his 90's.
The good news is Trez Hensley is carrying on his fathers gun making tradition and was inducted into the guild this year. He lives up around the columbia river somewhere.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
yes, THE biesens. al is over 90 now, so you'll be dealing with roger. but al does spend several hours a day in the shop, which is in the basement of his house. fun guys!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pete Grisel is in Milton Freewater and is a gifted metalmith, Trez Henzley is in Sandy Or but he is a stockmaker only, Steve Nelson is in Corvalis and is a very good metalsmith.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktail53
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Bob West is retired I believe.

Kevin Wyatt in Phoenix is highly regarded: BT

http://www.wyattsoutdoor.com/

Elk, it's what's for dinner..

Posts: 267 | Location: So. Oregon | Registered: 11 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Anyone know the name of the fella in Myrtle Point? I've heard some good things about him and been to his shop, but can't recall his name.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget Darrel Holland.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
Anyone know the name of the fella in Myrtle Point? I've heard some good things about him and been to his shop, but can't recall his name.

Outta business there AC... I talked to him at the range here in GP a couple of years ago, and he was shutting it down for health reasons...

I also support Blacktail 53 recommendation of Kevin Wyatt...he has done a batch of rifles for me...

If you are interested in ARs, John Noveske in Grants Pass is the guy to see...www.noveskegunworks.com

I had Bob West do a barrel for me up in Eugene when Chick Donnelly, was dealing with his mother having cancer...Bob West.. what a treat it was to meet that guy!! He did a 338/06 barrel for me...

actually Oregon has some pretty darn decent gunsmiths located here!

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reply to oregon45:
Roger Whitchurch, owner of The Gunsmith,LLC. Great gunsmith and a very personable guy! Really hate to see him go.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:

Outta business there AC...

Maybe we aren't talking the same guy? I visited his shop with a friend from Idaho just about two years ago. In fact, it would have to be slightly less than that. I had a stroke two years ago next weekend and was still in recovery when we went there...

He had a stocker working with him at the time in the same shop. Does that ring any identification bells one way or the other?

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll have to give Kevin and John a try.

Herb

Third rebirth of member #117.

Posts: 65 | Location: The State of Jefferson, CA | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Alberta C

The smith you are describing is Bob Dunlap. He does business as Pacific International Service Corp. You can reach the shop at 541 396-5558.

Regards from Idyho.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Long One- Guess I shoulda just asked you to start with.....

Glad to see you back anyway.

one of us
posted Hide Post
8x68s: Duane Wiebe is in Tacoma. He is in the Guild and one of the most talented gunsmiths in the country. Call 253-230-5599. I'm in Texas and he's worth the trouble of being across the country. MUFASA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks to one and all who weighed in on the question. not many places where one could find this kind of info. good shooting and hunting to all!