New
Find
Notify
Tools

Removing Teflon coating
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A while back I purchased a pre-64 Model 70 Super Grade in .270, the metal parts of which the previous owner had thought wise to coat with Teflon, thinking that removing the Teflon would not be a problem. After receiving the rifle I found out otherwise.

Does anyone have a useful suggestion on how to remove the Teflon which does not involve toxic chemicals or filling the air with toxic particles?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know why you would want to remove it, but I believe sandblasting is the only way I have heard of that works.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blasting is obviously the easiest. If it was applied properly the metal was blasted prior to coating anyway.

Depending on the exact product used, aircraft stripper or even acetone will probably work with a little time and elbow grease. The problem with using chemical strippers is that it is going to be darn near impossible to get the teflon out of all the engraving, corners, crevices and pin holes. Getting all of it off will be a major undertaking.

you'd be far ahead to just bead blast it off then reblue with a matte finish.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi,

Blasting with sand or other air propelled abrasives will work, but may change dimensions to a point causing grief. As stated earlier, there are some powerful finish removers on the market. I have used quite a few and have learned a trick for getting the best performance out of paint and varnish removers. Apply the remover in one direction thickly and cover the part with Saran Wrap or shrink wrap. The act of covering keeps the active-volitile- ingredient from evaporating quickly and forces it to work. This method followed by a tooth brush or 4/0 steel wool and lacquer thinner scrubbing may do the trick. Good luck.

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote