New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any gunsmith
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Let my buddie shoot my savage 260 this morning,he ejected the empty case and now the bolt won't turn to get the bolt back.
Any ideas how to get the bolt out without sending it back to savage??
I took the trigger off and that didn't help.Put it back on.
Will call savage tomorrow.
I had just shot a 3-shot before he shot the one shot without a problem.Thanks in advance for any help.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the bolt stuck, case in the chamber, bolt never opened after the shot? Like from high pressure? What did the cases you fired look like, any flat primers?

Did he put the safety on after he shot? That would lock the bolt, even decocked.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It wasn't a max load I have all 4 cases we shot,no pressure signs,the chamber is empty,I took the trigger completey off but you still not get the bolt to turn so it can come back.The rifle is new but has had a couple hundred rounds through it without any problems.
Cannot figure out whats got the bolt stuck or how to get it out.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the bolt won't open, how did you get the case out?
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
How about sending a digital image so we can see the position the bolt is in.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me see if I can explain this a little better.
I had just shot a group of 3 with no problems,trying to get my chrony to read,which didn't so he was helping me by sighting the rifle while I adjusted the chrony when he said it look ok I told him to fire a round and see if the chrony picked it up which it didn't never did get the damn thing to read.
He fired a round,ejected the case and bolted the rifle,So I was going to shoot another group to try the chrony but the bolt wouldn't open.The bolt handle would come up about 30 degrees then it felt like something was binding it and thats as far as it would go.Didn't want to try and forse it so took the trigger off to see if that would help but didn't so replaced the trigger.
Pis below so you can see the bolt handle positions.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I don't have a Savage on hand to look at, but you might check the big, hex head screw on the back of the bolt to make sure it isn't loose.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A couple of the first things I try in a situation like this is to loosen the front action screw. If the bolt is still bound up, I loosen the front scope base screws. Normally one or the other of those will correct the situation. When you find out which one is too long, you shorten it.

I know that doesn't explain why it worked, then didn't. But you've removed the trigger and the only other thing would be something seriously bound up in the bolt itself.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellows I finally got er fixed.
I called savage and was going to take the barrel and scope off and just send the action.When I took the barrel off the ejector was in the chamber,the spring was still in but the retainer pin was missing haven't found it yet.Had to order another ejector and pin so will have it back to shooting shortly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd make sure the new pin fits tight or it might happen again.

Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure will thanks

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by owensby:
It wasn't a max load I have all 4 cases we shot,no pressure signs,the chamber is empty,I took the trigger completey off but you still not get the bolt to turn so it can come back.The rifle is new but has had a couple hundred rounds through it without any problems.
Cannot figure out whats got the bolt stuck or how to get it out.

Could be an overly long scope mount screw is binding the bolt. I have seen this condition on a Savage rifle....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote